Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Convince me I can applique.....

I had never quilted before, but wanted to start so I prewashed all of my stash and bought a bunch of stuff, printed out oodles of free block patterns from the net, and was afraid to start. I started and love the journey I'm on so far.

Then I found a pattern involving paper piece. I was nervous and delayed starting it because I didn't know how. YouTube to the rescue, I found out how to do it, and haven't looked back.

Now I'm working on an elaborate piece which I only have 12 days to finish (yes, it's for Christmas) and am now at a stopping point of sorts because it involves...you guessed it, applique. I've read instructions one after the other, even just read Better Homes & Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting. This can't be so difficult, it just CAN'T. So why am I so apprehensive about starting?

Please reach deep down and give me some confidence, tell me I can do it. Because I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.....

Blog Entries
    You can definitely do it!!!

I, too, was afraid of applique. Haven't done alot as yet, but am not afraid to do it now. I just do little bits here and there with hand applique. Machine applique is no problem.

Blog Entries
    Applique is not hard or it would never be done by so many quilters. I think the prep work is the most important part of applique. The actual stitching is the easy part.

cjk
    I think you can too!

Blog Entries
    ROFL I have the same problem, I started an applique for Valentines LAST year, I used the fusible webbing to attach the one to the other, nothing left to do now other than the actuall applique stiching, and I'm afraid to start it because I don't want to mess it up, so there it sits on my shelf. looking at me everyday, maybe I'll try it in time for THIS Valentine's Day lol

I'm planning on using fusible web and machine stitching....i think i can i think i can i hope i don't screw it up.....

Take the time to do a little practice piece first. Take it slow, and you will be happy with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Prissnboot
    I'm planning on using fusible web and machine stitching....i think i can i think i can i hope i don't screw it up.....
    Omg you CAN do it I have been quilting for six years I just started do appliqueing. I thought the same way you do. I am now able to do the basics of it. Self taught from youtube vid and sewing with nancy vid on Pbs

relax take it slow and you will be fine.

Banned
    I am the total opposite...I am afraid of the blocks...can't do them...in fact started a bargello yesterday that looks terrible and won't lie flat.
    I am an applique fanatic! I started my first ever quilt with major applique and have never looked back.
    You definitely can do it...it is really much easier than blocks!

My avatar shows one of my very first applique designs...it is a picture of my cousin

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast