Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Copyrighted and licensed >

Copyrighted and licensed

Copyrighted and licensed

Old 11-19-2010, 12:45 PM

I am wondering about the law and selling things. Many fabrics say on the selvage that they can only be used for the personal use of the purchaser. Also Patterns say they are to be used for personal use only. Like the Bow Tucks Bag? How can it be made and SOLD, and especially with licensed fabric(like professional sports team fabric) and not be a violation of the law? Our guild had a huge problem with a very well know quilt designer when a pattern of hers was used and put into our raffle quilt. Carol Doak gave us permission (dear sweet lady that she is) But not everyone is so nice
Old 11-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

If you do a search on this topic you will find a lot. This has been discussed a lot and some of the time it has become a very heated debate.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:49 PM

Bring up copyright and liscensing on this board, and you'll get a lot of opinions. However, I strongly suggest that if you plan on making items for sale, that you either contact the copyright/license owner and seek permission, or that you consult an attorney that specializes in this type of law. With all of the opinions on this board, some people are right, and some are wrong, but the only way for you to cover your butt is to get professional permission and/or advice.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

Lots of opinions and discussions here :wink:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/search....pyright&u=&s=0
Old 11-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mattee
Bring up copyright and liscensing on this board, and you'll get a lot of opinions. However, I strongly suggest that if you plan on making items for sale, that you either contact the copyright/license owner and seek permission, or that you consult an attorney that specializes in this type of law. With all of the opinions on this board, some people are right, and some are wrong, but the only way for you to cover your butt is to get professional permission and/or advice.
OUTSTANDING advice! :thumbup:
Old 11-19-2010, 12:57 PM

Most of the pattern makers will allow you to do this with their permission. I always check if that is a pattern I really want to do, but otherwise I have gotten so I go for the free directions and build my own. I do have permission from Eleanor Burns for her quilts, and it is in writing.....
Old 11-19-2010, 12:57 PM

To say the least there is a lot of controversy concerning this topic.

Here is one site that deals with these very issues http://www.tabberone.com and specifically the issue of licensed fabric http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/...edFabric.shtml.

The area of copyright and licensing has become so complex even if you hire five different intellectual property lawyers to address your concerns, you will get five very different expert opinions.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:25 PM

I'm wondering about tutorials too. If you purchase a pattern, make the item and then 'rewrite' the directions and post them online are you in the clear? Is this ethically a correct thing to do? I'm not trying to stir up a hornet's nest or anything, but I have dear friends who are designing and selling their own patterns. Just makes me wonder.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
Most of the pattern makers will allow you to do this with their permission. I always check if that is a pattern I really want to do, but otherwise I have gotten so I go for the free directions and build my own. I do have permission from Eleanor Burns for her quilts, and it is in writing.....
Some will, and some are so against it they get very nasty, it is their livlihood