Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Copyrighting Designs

Someone suggested that I copyright my quilting designs, but I don't know how to go about that. How would I go about getting my designs copyrighted?

Try going here
    http://www.copyright.gov/

Blog Entries
    this article is also a "must read". it includes information about things quilter designers can't legally copyright. i refer to it often.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/807.page

Quilters Newsletter site has information on this subject here. Also information on other site links for this subject. Good luck. Love your designs.

http://qnm.com/copyright/index.html

...now I'm really confused and wondering if my designs are "original" enough to actually get a copyright.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
    ...now I'm really confused and wondering if my designs are "original" enough to actually get a copyright.
    Generally, in quiltmaking (although there are exceptions) you copyright a "technique", a pattern, cutting and sewing instructions, etc. So if you develop a really great and unique way to put together a certain quilt, even if it is a fairly common design, you can copyright your pattern. You can not usually copyright the design itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathe
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
    Generally, in quiltmaking (although there are exceptions) you copyright a "technique", a pattern, cutting and sewing instructions, etc. So if you develop a really great and unique way to put together a certain quilt, even if it is a fairly common design, you can copyright your pattern. You can not usually copyright the design itself.
    The Ninja Star and Tsunami quilt both use two common/traditional blocks and the Double Wedding Ring (which still remains nameless) is really just a cool twist on an old favorite...so what you're saying is, even if they use basic blocks, if I can make an interesting and unique pattern out of it I can copyright it?

I am saying that when you draft the cutting and assembly instructions and write it all up and publish it (the pattern for making it), you can copyright THAT. I don't know about the actual design/picture of the quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathe
    I am saying that when you draft the cutting and assembly instructions and write it all up and publish it (the pattern for making it), you can copyright THAT. I don't know about the actual design/picture of the quilt.
    Aaah, I get it now.

Seems kind of dumb not to be able to copyright the design/picture your cutting and assembly instructions is going to make. At least that's how I see it anyways. Anyone here know if you can copyright the actual design of the quilt?

And how do you copyright it anyways? I figure its not as simple as putting that little "c" somewhere on your work. I read through one of the links (the one from qnm.com) and I could not get an answer. A lot of it was scenario questions and my brain just turned to butter...and I just don't understand "legal stuff" to begin with.

Blog Entries
    your work, or that part of if that can be legally copyrighted is automatically copyrighted as soon as you publish it in tangible form. you can also register that copyright with the federal government. it takes a bit of time and money but is probably worth it if you plan to publish in large quantities.

you cannot copyright techniques or methods. they must be patented, which is a separate, complicated and expensive process.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast