Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
CORDLESS IRONS >

CORDLESS IRONS

CORDLESS IRONS

Old 02-27-2010, 09:23 PM

I don't recommend the Oreck. I had one for 4 years and it started leaking but it couldn't get the fold lines out of fabric. When I bought my new one, it has a cord and the difference is amazing. I can quickly press anything and whatever kind of wrinkles come right out. I was not pleased with the Oreck. We got it free when we bought our Oreck upright vacuum cleaner and we love the Oreck vac.
Patty

Originally Posted by shaverg
I know oreck has cordless irons, you can find them on ebay for under $50. Don't know how good they are, I have never used a cordless iron.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:30 PM

Hi, I have a TeFal that I have had for at least 15 years if not more and I love it. I have been looking for another one as this one has fallen and I have knocked it over and broke part of it but it still works wonderfully. I bought a Oreck cordless (actually it came free as I bought an air cleaner) and I don't like it. It is much heavier than my TeFal and it doesn't stay hot as long. My TeFal has a very small base that it sits on and is easy to put it on where the oreck is big and clumsey.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:00 PM

I don't have a cordless iron but thought I would share a couple of items that I have for ironing. One is for the cord, which I find very helpful, and the other is an iron holder.

The cord is clipped to the top of the cord holder and doesn't go slack or get in the way like it does with some holders.

http://www.sewvacdirect.com/pold-90505.html

The iron rest is very good. It attaches to the ironing board at the end or the board so you get more ironing space. I also like the fact the the iron is laying down and more secure. (The screws that hold the holder to the ironing board do need to be retighted occasionally in order to keep it secure to the board and to keep the holder from sagging.) The iron can be laid in the rest either way so it is both right and left hand user friendly.

This picture is from Keepsake quilting. The site that has the cord holder also has the iron rest but the large picture wouldn't come up. Unfortunately, both sites are out right now but Keepsake says it will be back in stock in April. I have used mine for about 7 years and I am very happy with it.

http://www.keepsakequilting.com/productdetail/9026.htm

Happy quilting and ironing!
Old 02-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Power Poster

I had one once and it wasn't worth a hoot!
Old 02-28-2010, 07:38 PM

I just checked out the iron caddy and it is only $1.99! I am going to get one. I have had to many close calls with my baby, I mean dog.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:23 PM
SC

I had an Oreck. I loved the "cordless" aspect but it started spitting water every time I used it. One day it overheated while I was using it & scorched what I was pressing. I also had a Black & Decker which I really liked. It worked fine as long as I didn't keep it off the base too long. It finally quit working after 7 or 8 years. I couldn't find another cordless at the time so am now using a cheapie my son had at college (I think he took it out of the box once). I really miss my cordless!
Old 03-01-2010, 06:19 AM

I had an oreck, loved it, but it died last year. It was probably 5 years old, it was a very heavy iron. I have the panasonic now. It took me awhile to get used to it, because it is so much lighter than the Oreck but I really like it too...
Old 03-01-2010, 08:48 PM

I have a Panasonic NI-L750SR 1500W. I've been using it for 14 months and absolutely love it!!! It never has a problem staying hot. As quilters we rarely iron great amounts of time anyway and I've found mine can go nearly 10 minutes before needing to heat up. That's rarely a problem, because I'm setting it down often enough for it to stay warm. It has wonderful steam too. I wouldn't trade it for a corded iron for anything!
Old 03-02-2010, 02:57 PM

i also owned one i hated it mine leaked all the time ,and it did not stay hot.good luck in your search.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:44 PM

I have a cordless Maytag and absolutely love it.