Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
corduroy >

corduroy

corduroy

Old 08-20-2010, 08:31 AM

My grandma made me one and I love it but it is very heavy.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:29 AM

Like so many of you I sewed for my daughter in the '70s. I don't remember what they called the waleless cordoroy but loved the look of it. I made a simple block quilt with alternating calico and cordoroy from scraps. It was tied, like many of you said, it was to heavy to quilt on the machine I had at the time. My daughter used it for many years and it stood up to frequent washing. I wonder what happened to it. Maybe it went to quilt heaven.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:04 PM

I used corduroy in a texture quilt. I also used eyelet, satin with embrodiary, flannel and a very smooth cotton. I used very large rectangles. It's one of my favorites.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:40 AM

I did a guitar quilt and used corduroy to mimic the strings.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-100803.jpe  
Old 08-21-2010, 07:08 AM

different fabrics with different textures and amount of sheen always add pizazz to quilts. You just have to realize that it will react differently as you sew. Some different fabrics you may say never again the effort was not worth the struggle sewing it but others will be worth it. Corduroy is great. narrow wale is easy. Have fun! Branch out!
Old 08-21-2010, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by quiltbugs
Question about corduroy: I had some corduroy that I bought a really long time ago that had no "wale" at all...in other words, it was just smooth, almost like a velvety texture on top. Does anybody know what that material was called? I backed a quilt with it, and it was just great. It was almost like a real heavy flannel. The fabric was 60" wide, and I would love to get some more, if they still make such a thing.
I know it as "no wale" corduroy
Old 08-21-2010, 01:26 PM

Right now I am sewing a crazy patch with cord. Making big pieces, not sure what I will do with it when it is all done, maybe make a purse. It's all very fine wale, what I call pin wale. Very soft , thin asnd smooth feeling.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:15 PM

I made a couple of quilts in corduroy but made them tie quilts instead of quilting. They are comfy.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:02 AM

I have a corduroy quilt top hovering in UFO Land somewhere in one my sewing closets. My mom gave me the precut 3" X 4" pieces for the blocks several years ago. (I think their shape is called a trapezoid.) Mom mostly makes mission quilts with her Ladies Ade group. The pieces were donated to them and they didn't want to fuss with those tiny pieces, since they cut their blocks 8 1/2" X 10 1/2". I come across them every once in a while and work on it some more. When I get it finished, I plan to donate it, since that was the intention of the original donor. Maybe I'll just give the finished top back to them and let them sandwich it and tie it off like the rest of the quilts they do. Then they can donate it as they see fit -- decisions, decisions!
Old 08-24-2010, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by charcrfts
I have a corduroy quilt top hovering in UFO Land somewhere in one my sewing closets. My mom gave me the precut 3" X 4" pieces for the blocks several years ago. (I think their shape is called a trapezoid.) Mom mostly makes mission quilts with her Ladies Ade group. The pieces were donated to them and they didn't want to fuss with those tiny pieces, since they cut their blocks 8 1/2" X 10 1/2". I come across them every once in a while and work on it some more. When I get it finished, I plan to donate it, since that was the intention of the original donor. Maybe I'll just give the finished top back to them and let them sandwich it and tie it off like the rest of the quilts they do. Then they can donate it as they see fit -- decisions, decisions!

you are so funny, charcrfts!!! "hovering in UFO land" I love it!!!!LOLOLOL