Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Corduroy and a wedding gown

A dear friend gave me a pile of white corduroy fabric, in wide, medium, and thin wales, to make into a quilt for her. Much of the corduroy had already been cut into 6" squares. Her husband passed away last year (they had been married 40 years) and at her yard sale yesterday, I noticed she was selling her wedding gown. When I suggested that we incorporate it into her quilt, she almost cried!! The gown is "vintage" brocade - so it is a good match weight-wise, with the corduroy. I would appreciate any suggestions on combining these into a pleasing pattern.

Blog Entries
    Good luck! It will be a cherished quilt.

Blog Entries
    What a wonderful idea.. I'm sure she did just about cry. I guess the pattern you choose will depend on how much fabric there is to use from the gown..

I think something simple, and something that leaves the gown fabric in as big of block as you can, would be best. You'll want to allow the dress fabric to stand out, if you cut it into pieces that are too small you'll lose it.

Perhaps just a simple checker-board style quilt with one cord and one gown alternating. Since you have the cord already cut into 6 inch blocks you could see how many 6 inch blocks you could get out of the dress... Alternate them with the fine wale cord and put the heavier wales on the back.. Nothing says that you can't have a pieced back.. That's what I'd start with anyway.

I'd love to know what you decide to do. It's very precious to her and I applaud you for making something so special for her.

Blog Entries
    I'm wondering about a wide, gathered border of the wedding gown around a center of corduroy squares.

I don't suppose you know what her colors were when they married? Using those would be neat to add in as borders or perhaps sashing. Just a thought..

GREAT idea!! I can find out...TKS

Blog Entries
    If you could get some pictures that would be really awesome to add.

Blog Entries
    You could make a feature of the wedding gown fabric by using that, either pieced or one large piece, as a central medallion, then surrounding it with the 6in blocks.

This is a great idea too! I have a lot to think about - THANKS!

Power Poster
    Have fun!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast