Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cornerstones make it so much easier (for me) to line everything up >

Cornerstones make it so much easier (for me) to line everything up

Cornerstones make it so much easier (for me) to line everything up

Old 03-14-2011, 05:56 AM

Someone (don't remember who) made this comment when talking about adding borders and cornerstones. HELP please. Cornerstones are my personal nightmare. They never line up and make my borders look terrible. Please explain how they help you. I'm probably not doing them right.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

http://www.quiltingboard.com/search....rstones&u=&s=0
perhaps there will be help in these postings
Old 03-14-2011, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by rvsfan
Someone (don't remember who) made this comment when talking about adding borders and cornerstones. HELP please. Cornerstones are my personal nightmare. They never line up and make my borders look terrible. Please explain how they help you. I'm probably not doing them right.
Ok, I think that was me. I'll try and explain how I do it. Probably backwards from most folks ;-) First, all your blocks need to be squared and the same size.

Lets pretend that your blocks are 8.5" raw (8" finished) and your sashing is going to be cut 2.5" (2" finished).

I cut 2 strips the length of the sashing fabric, parallel to the selvedge. One 2.5" and an 8.5". Cut a strip of cornerstone fabric, 2.5" wide.

Sew the cornerstone strip to the 8.5" strip. So now you have 2 sashing strips. One 2.5", and the wide one with the cornerstone fabric attached.

Sub cut the 2.5" strip into 8.5" lengths. Sub cut the wide piece into 2.5" strips (so you have a length of sashing with a little square of cornerstone at the end).

Sew a row of blocks alternating the plain sashing strips with the blocks. Press TOWARD the sashing.

Count how many blocks you have, and join as many of the sashing+cornerstone strips as you need (you many need to add or remove cornerstones at the end) again, press TOWARD the sashing (away from the cornerstones).

Now sew this strip to the block strip, matching seams.

By squaring your blocks ups to a standard size, then cutting the sashing to that size, everything fits. Pressing the sashing seams in the direction indicated allows the seams to 'lock' making things line up. Cutting both the 2.5 and 8.5 sashing strips the same way, your sashing fabric pattern lines up too (drives me nuts when they go different ways).

Hope I didn't confuse you more...