Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Correct sizes of quilts??

I am finding a different version in different arenas of what size is actually a twin? A queen? A king? etc...is there a standard size that everyone uses or goes by?Thanks very much ahead of time for a clueless Skeat!

Quilters Newsletter has a Yardage Card for figuring yardage for backings.
    Size
    The list the following sizes. Twin 63 x 87
    Double 78 X 87
    Queen 84 X 92
    King 100 X 92

But these are only guides, not rules!!!!!!
    I hope I haven't broken any rules by posting this! :?

Shemjo, you didn't break any rules when credit is given where due:)Besides, I have big shoulders and would take the heat for a good answer any day!:))Skeat ..........who wonders where the sizes for some quilts even come from? Some have what they would consider 'lap' that might fit the dog:)

Just to make your life more difficult, we have different "standard" sizes over here.

Wikipedia has them listed under "bed".

I've been asked by a friend to make her daughter a single bed quilt (I think you guys call it a twin) so I went and measured my kid's beds.... four beds supposedly all singles, and three different sizes! LOL Not much help at all that is!

I think some sets of measurements take into account an overhang.

I know when we bought our new 18" deep mattress, my old queen size quilt was too small so now I have to make more of a king size to fit!!! So I guess it can all depend on each indiviual bed.

Now you are starting to see an almost newbie's frustration:)Yikes!! What are we to do? Maybe someone needs to step up to the plate and make an official bed size outloud or something:))LOL It would be nice if they had a 'standard' size and then all quilts, other beds, etc would have to say not standard size...or something to flag a 'hey'! Loretta...I didn't see the chart?Did the alien bed people take it?LOL Skeat

I make mine a little larger..otherwise the dog gets all the covers :shock: :shock: :shock:

Someone posted this on another thread.

http://quilterscache.com/StartQuilti...iltingtwo.html

Hope this is right. :?

I know with my bed I made one 85 inches across and it JUST makes it. When I did the moose and train quilt I made it 88 wide and they said it fit perfectly on their bed. Now a friend of mine has the super deep mattress with the pillow top on it. That one I would have to make it 90 in order for it to cover the sides of mattresses.

I got a chart one time from a store (can't remember which) that just gave the top measurements of the sizes. The drop was not included.

I like the longer quilts anyway so when I make more for my bed.........the bigger the better!!

Barb

Blog Entries
    I always try to measure the bed....however that won't help much when we buy new mattresses...like when I change the guest room from a regular queen to a pillowtop queen...darn it...then I'll be all messed up!

This is confusing isn't it??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast