Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which Costco iron? Rowenta or Sunbeam >

Which Costco iron? Rowenta or Sunbeam

Which Costco iron? Rowenta or Sunbeam

Old 12-17-2014, 05:25 PM

I have an older Rowenta that I use for regular ironing. it occasionally spits and is heavy. I have the Costco Sunbeam that y use for quilting and I like it very much. Have had it for a couple of years and have had no problems.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:41 PM

Bed Bath & Beyond has an extremely generous return policy as well. I like the B&D Digital Advantage and they are doing 20% coupons like crazy right now.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:14 PM

I bought a similar-sounding Rowenta at Sam's Club for $39.99.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:00 PM

I have a Rowenta and I love it. It is heavy and that is what I want. I had trouble getting a good press from my previous lightweight iron. I notice some have problems with leaking but I've not had this problem. Oh, also, I bought it at Goodwill for $7.00. That makes me like it even more. I still haven't removed the price tag sticker. LOL
Old 12-18-2014, 03:43 PM

Had a Rowenta. Liked it at first, then stopped working after about a year (bought at JAF - no refund as it was too old). Bought a $14 lightweight Black & Decker at Walmart and absolutely love it. Non-stick sole plate, gets nice and hot, auto shut off...I highly recommend.

From an 80 year old tailor on irons: never, ever, ever use water in an iron! Not distilled, not tap, not rain - no water at all. Water will cause the insides to rot out and cause leakage (even if you empty it) on any iron over time. If you must have steam, get a separate steaming unit or do as our grandmothers did - spritz/spray the fabric with water, let it sit for a minute, then press. For really stubborn wrinkles, dampen fabric and put it in a plastic bag and put in fridge for an hour or so. Somehow the cold helps to release the wrinkles. Just my 2 cents...for what it's worth.

Again, I love my cheap Black & Decker iron so much I bought a second one for my vacation home. (I iron clothes every day - husband needs crisp shirts and pants for work. Used to take to dry cleaners, but got too expensive for them to press. The B & D iron, for such a cheap unit, is a work horse).
Old 12-18-2014, 04:35 PM

I bought the Sunbeam from Costco a little over a month ago and it is one of the best irons I have ever used. It steams much better than my Rowenta ever did. I replaced my 25 year old Rowenta with the Sunbeam. The reason that I didn't buy another Rowenta is that I have friends who have bought new Rowentas in the last several years and they did not last very long. Back to "They don't make them like the used to."
Old 12-19-2014, 12:16 PM

Hmmm, maybe I need to try the Sunbeam. Thank you all again for your generous replies.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:56 PM

I bought a Shark after my previous $80 pro died. It is heavy, has a stainless sole plate, but i don't think this or the last one, for that matter, heated as hot as they used to. Have the manufacturers backed off the thermostats on the upper side so that there is less danger of being burned severely? Sometimes it seems I can almost hold my finger on it for longer than I could previously. My mom used to spritz water on the plate to see how hot one was and it would just sizzle. Not any more. Curious.