Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cotton @ 80 % raise

No matter what we pay here we're still better off than our quilting brothers and sisters in so many other countries. I have a few machines with dust on them but not the four that I use. I also have a few king size tops and backings and one full that I have well over $200 in and they aren't quilted yet. I have others that I have almost no actual money invested in.

If we'd thought about it beforehand and broken down the cost none of us would probably thought we'd be able to afford our children but we did it and we managed.

I don't make quilts to profit from them, I make them because I love to. I think the higher cost will just make us become more inventive and creative in our chosen art form. I'll still support the fabric stores as much as I can because I'd hate to see them close but I probably won't go on buying-binges. Okay, with the exception of Fat Tuesday when Threads of Time has all their fat quarters for $1.50 each. That's just too good to pass up. Besides, I think they give a prize to the person that buys the most---I came in 2nd last year.

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    Well, let's all eat free-range grass fed beef so we can have cheap fabric! :D :D :D
    And that is a lot healthier too!!
    I know, right? :D

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I was just at walmart and they informed that all the prices on fabrics are going up as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I was just at walmart and they informed that all the prices on fabrics are going up as we speak.
    At my Wal-Mart all the fabric went up .50-1.50 a yard.

I think they are going up everywhere.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    what is interesting is that the 80% is at the bale houses, NOT in the LQS..

most of the fabric being made right now, is being made with cotton purchased 2-3 years ago!
    SO, the prices are going up because of greed mainly and to help ease the pain during the next 2 years that they know there will be a cotton shortage world wide!

Also shipping is up gas is up, utilities are up...economy is in the toilet...

As one example: Take the price of a yard of fabric @ current price of $4.00 per yard X .80% will mean a raise of $1.60 per yard = to $5.60 a yard. Oh, thats not too bad, is it?

If fabric is $4 and the price rises 80% the new price will be 7.20

................I MAY quit quilting........AGAIN.......

Senior Member quilter on the eastern edge's Avatar
    I pay anywhere from $11.99 to $16.99/m for good quality fabric. So let's do the math......

$11.99 + 80% = 21.58 + 13% tax = $24.38/m
    $16.99 + 80% = 30.58 + 13% tax = $34.55/m

:thumbdown:

I can't see it happening. I know that my LQS will do whatever they can to keep the prices reasonable because nobody will be paying these prices.

Heehee! All I have are old machines. My newest one is from 1974, and my other ones are from 1950.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast