Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cotton @ 80 % raise

Blog Entries
    I wondered when reading that cotton will be raised 80% because of the market high demand for soy beans to feed the cattle to produce beef products which will raise grocery prices and will take the $$$ out of our pocket, how that will impact quilters.

As one example: Take the price of a yard of fabric @ current price of $4.00 per yard X .80% will mean a raise of $1.60 per yard = to $5.60 a yard. Oh, thats not too bad, is it?

But just imagine: 1 yard of fabric will make (4) 12 inch blocks. That means 1 block would cost $1.80 plus thread and labor.

Again imagine: Make a 72 inch X 84 inch quilt (42 blocks) @ $1.80 per block. The fabric alone would cost $75.60 for top alone + 5 yards for backing at approximate $5.00 per yard + thread and labor hours.

These numbers add up to: $75.60 + $25.00 = $100.60 for backing. + batting (cost unknown), + labor cost.

To sell the quilt and make a profit, it should be priced at $250.00 at least. That is just doubling the cost. I've been told many sellers triple the price of material and labor.

What do you think? One commentator remarked that the old sewing machine should come out of storage. In my opinion, that is a mighty lame excuse for raising prices, especially for quilters.

How much dust is on your old sewing machine?

Where do you find fabric for 4.00 a yard? All I see is 9 and up.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red
    Where do you find fabric for 4.00 a yard? All I see is 9 and up.
    Me too! You are lucky to get it so cheap!

I can't get it for 4 dollars a yard locally but there are some internet sites you can. I buy on Eleanor Burns web site for 4 dollars a yard or my favorite is Thousands of Bolts. Beautiful fabric!

Well, let's all eat free-range grass fed beef so we can have cheap fabric! :D :D :D

Blog Entries
    $4.00 X .80 is $3.20, which would make that fabric $7.20, right?

I am fortunate to have a decent stash, so I will be able to stay away from buying fabric for a while, and I'm especially grateful since the price is so high these days.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    Well, let's all eat free-range grass fed beef so we can have cheap fabric! :D :D :D
    And that is a lot healthier too!!

I'd like to know too ... where do you get fabrics for $4 yd ?? I think $9 is about the avg today, with $5-6 a good SALE price ...

Blog Entries
    When I was at the LQS the other day most of the new fabric is $10 a yard, wouldn't that raise it to around $18 a yard??? Using your calculations, (because it would depend on the pattern) I calculate about $279~~which still doesn't figure in batting and thread.

I have enough fabric and scraps to last a long time.Maybe high prices of fabric is a good thing for me.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast