Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cotton/Poly Batting: Good or Bad? >

Cotton/Poly Batting: Good or Bad?

Cotton/Poly Batting: Good or Bad?

Old 10-03-2014, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by HomekeepingGran View Post
One more question about 80/20: how closely ought it to be quilted? I'm sure my baby quilt is close enough at ca 1" apart but I am curious what the recommendation is.
Quilt up to 4" apart.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:33 AM

One more question about 80/20: how closely ought it to be quilted? I'm sure my baby quilt is close enough at ca 1" apart but I am curious what the recommendation is.
What does the package say? Do I remember correctly that it is about evry 3-4"? So 1" should be fine.

If it's a baby quilt, I always wash it with Tide Unscented and dry in the dryer without using softeners. Too many allergies out there to take chances with a new baby. Plus you can see if any seams are going to pop where they shouldn't.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:39 AM

I like the 80/20 hobbs I have, but took a special quilt to a great quilter this week (I do a lot of my own) and took her my Dream quilt wool batting and she mentioned how much she hates 80/20 - didn't mention brand. Said it was too uneven.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:28 AM

I think the main difference you will find is if you hand quilt. Machine quilting would see little difference and it is more a choice / price difference.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond View Post
I was in a class yesterday where the instructor told us not to use bamboo batting. She said it is full of chemicals, and shrinks a bit every time it is washed. I was glad to learn that before I invested in some! The chemical issue (she said the Chinese? hadn't figured out the right chemicals and amounts to use) will keep me from buying sheets made of it, too.
This is a big disappointment to me. I had really been looking forward to using Quilter's Dream Oriental blend for this baby quilt I'm working on. I wonder which battings are made in China?
Old 10-04-2014, 07:00 AM

Yes I like the hobbs 80/20 batting. It's easy to machine quilt.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:36 AM

So 80/20 will shrink some? Oh well. LOL. I just used it in a baby quilt, but I haven't given the quilt away yet. Maybe I should wash before giving it. (musing...) And if I do give it a rinse, should it then go into the dryer or hang to dry?

~ Carla ~
I use this type of batting almost exclusively with the charity quilts I make. They always get laundered and then dried....in the dryer. They have a slight crinkled look.....it is nice IMHO! Most people today, use a dryer, so if you are giving it away, I'd make sure it is quilted close enough to hold up under dryer heat and tumbling....
Old 10-04-2014, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I used Hobb's 80/20 recently in a baby quilt and it did shrink up a bit, but I deliberately washed it in HOT water & dried on hot as well and I expected it to draw up a bit.

I try to make my baby quilts as bulletproof as possible and the hot wash/dry is the final test; I like to be able to tell the parents that it's safe to wash it in hot water occasionally if the little one has an accident on it.
I have found that most stains from human bodies - blood, vomit, feces, urine (poop, puke, and pee) usually come out better with cold water than hot water. The hot water tends to set the stain rather than release it.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:20 AM

I'm a long time quilter and like Hobb's 80/20 a lot and agree that it quilts very pretty and drapes well; however, I don't think it's warm enough for a winter quilt. I use the Hobb's as my summer quilts and the Warm n Natural for winter.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
I use this type of batting almost exclusively with the charity quilts I make. They always get laundered and then dried....in the dryer. They have a slight crinkled look.....it is nice IMHO! Most people today, use a dryer, so if you are giving it away, I'd make sure it is quilted close enough to hold up under dryer heat and tumbling....
I believe it's fine. It's quilted at 1" apart in parallel gentle curves. If that doesn't do it... probably nothing will. I just wrapped this little blankey for giving away, but all my pictures are on a 35 mm camera waiting to finish the roll. I'll do Show & Tell later. I did rinse and dry in a hot dryer. I like the crinkled look, too.

In the meantime, I'm really appreciating all the tips about batting. It seems many of us use the 80/20. After what the shop owner said I wasn't prepared for quite so much shrinkage, but it's still a nice size. However I will definitely take that into consideration when planning a quilt for a full-size bed.