Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cotton or polyester thread

Just wondering when you quilt do you use cotton or polyester thread. I have been making rag quilts and have always used cotton. I wanted to order thread through connecting treads and was wondering which to get.

thank ladies and gentlemen

Blog Entries
    I am certainly no expert, but I use whatever kind of thread gives me the 'look' I want on a particular project. I've even used some of my poly machine embroidery thread when I want a sheen to the stitching.

(sssh...don't tell the quilt police!)

Another thing on Connecting threads is Cotton thread and Egyptian cotton thread.. what is the difference.

Blog Entries
    I just ordered a double order of cotton thread from CT.
    When I hand quilted I usd the regular stronger quilting thread which I believe was a poylester-cotton. From what I have read in books if you are using 100 % cotton fabrics use 100% cotton thread for best results especially if you are machine quilting. I am sure you will get several different opinions here as there are differnt threads for different people.

Blog Entries
    I use cotton thread from CT also. Most books say cotton thread is best, but my quilt guru says the cotton/poly is fine