Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cotton Prices >

Cotton Prices

Cotton Prices

Old 11-13-2010, 07:17 AM
JJs
Banned

Yesterday I talked with a vendor about fabric prices/cotton prices and she said she's hearing that fabric will be going to over $12.50 a yard. At the outlet place I asked again and the woman told me that what they have in the store will not be raised but what comes in after the first of the year may be.

this is quoted from the following website:
http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/mp_cn206.txt

"...... in the seven designated markets averaged 142.53
cents per pound for the week ended Thursday, November 11, 2010. The weekly average was up from 129.54
cents reported last week and 63.14 cents reported the corresponding period a year ago. Daily average
quotations ranged from a low of 138.84 cents on Friday, November 5 to a high of 147.84 cents on Tuesday,
November 9. This was the highest daily average since records were established in 1917."

You might want to at least skim read the whole article.

Here's another site:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...g-may-ebb.html

It sounds at first, that the price "might not be so bad", until you continue reading....

If you don't have a stash, you may want to try to get enough fabric to make two or three quilts to 'keep you busy' during the next year :mrgreen:
I wouldn't think you'd have to go crazy trying to stash enough for the rest of your life, but as I told the vendor at the show yesterday - I won't pay $8.50 for a yard of fabric and I certainly won't pay $12.50"...
I do know that I've seen fabric in Joanns already for $12.99 - and even at 50% off it's too high priced.

It could be they are just manipulating prices, BUT, we live in the deep south and I can tell you that the cotton crop here has not been that good - the weather has been too dry.... factor in the horrendous flooding in Pakistan, etc etc and it doesn't sound promising.

Whether or not the quilting industry - and if you don't think quilting is big business think again - will continue to produce so many yards of so many lines by so many manufacturers remains to be seen.... it could be time for a big shake up and some will fall by the wayside - or collapse all together - if you can't afford to eat you can't afford to buy high priced fabric.
And it may be that the quilters will have to go back to the traditional ways of quilting - making do with what is available rather than using the latest/greatest high priced fabrics available.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

Yes, JoAnns has some of their batiks at 12.99 already...the SUPER pretty ones, and YES, I have caved and bought a few.........
I have been trading some stuff for fabric with a lady here, and boy does that help. She has AWESOME taste, so she asks for an item, asks what I'd like, and I say whatever, and she sends the BEST fabric!!!!!!!!!! Maybe more of us could do that, course shipping is high too!
Old 11-13-2010, 07:31 AM

I heard about the raising cotton prices and cringed... if it gets really bad I will use old clothes,ect.. to quilt with lol
Old 11-13-2010, 07:48 AM

Thank goodness I have enough stach to make at lease 50 quilts. But, I usually ahve to buy something to make it POP.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:40 PM

As the daughter of a cotton farmer from the 1950's I can't imagine cotton being being that high. I remember when my dad was ecstatic over 42 cents/pound. However, I am seeing significant price increases in fabric in different stores including Jo-Ann's, Hobby Lobby and Wal-Mart. So ladies treasure your stash.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:42 PM

Thank God for my "fabric collection" aka stash.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Banned

At the recent Quilt Festival in Houston the going price for new fabrics was $11.99-$13.00 per yd and was fabric we paid $8.50 for last year.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Yes, JoAnns has some of their batiks at 12.99 already...the SUPER pretty ones, and YES, I have caved and bought a few.........
I have been trading some stuff for fabric with a lady here, and boy does that help. She has AWESOME taste, so she asks for an item, asks what I'd like, and I say whatever, and she sends the BEST fabric!!!!!!!!!! Maybe more of us could do that, course shipping is high too!
they had Christmas fabric for that same price today at Joanns! yikees!

i didn't have time to run to hobby lobby..but i will make time monday.
trades are awesome!
Old 11-13-2010, 01:49 PM

I told my DH about it, and he said to go out and get more fabric. So far be it for me not to listen to what he says. LOL
Old 11-13-2010, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by klgreene
I told my DH about it, and he said to go out and get more fabric. So far be it for me not to listen to what he says. LOL
Boy that is one time you do not want to disobey!!! :thumbup: