Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Cotton Theory Technique >

The Cotton Theory Technique

The Cotton Theory Technique

Old 01-19-2011, 08:16 AM

There was a 'cotton theory' instructor posting on this site a while back and she posted gorgeous pictures of placemats and quilts.
I made a few placemats and like anything new it was tedious to learn the process. But I did like the finished placemats.
Like anything else'stiff' has different meanings to different people. I like to QAYG and my fam all says they are too stiff! They want every quilt limp and drappy! :roll:
Please post pics of your class project when you get finished, it may change the mind of some people!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:14 PM

I love cotton theory quilting. It is very easy to do and you get to use alot of those decorative stitches on your machine that you never have tried. Also you will learn to "wobble" stitch and after that you will catch yourself wobbling all the time. Seriously, cotton theory makes beautiful quilts, wallhangings, placemats, etc. and contrary to popular belief they are not stiff. Hope you enjoy your class.

Front of Mule Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]139775[/ATTACH]

Back of Mule Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]139776[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-139770.jpe   attachment-139771.jpe  
Old 02-02-2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by JoyG
Also you will learn to "wobble" stitch and after that you will catch yourself wobbling all the time.
Ok :) I'll ask -

What's a wobble stitch?
Old 02-02-2011, 05:50 PM

i've made 5 bed-sized quilts -- two queen -- using this method and really like it. I've taken the liberty of spacing the channel quilting wider and use a decorative stitch. It is great not having to deal with the bulk of the quilt until the very end.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:08 PM

Me too! Makes the possibility of actually quilting your quilt yourself without having to spend the money on a longarm machine. The pictures below are an example of taking a traditional block and assembling it the Cotton Theory way to show that you can take any block and turn it into a Cotton Theory Quilt. Our quilt guild always has a mystery quilt pattern and I finished mine using Cotton Theory to quilt.

Front of Guild Mystery Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]117872[/ATTACH]

Back of Guild Mystery Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]117874[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-117867.jpe   attachment-117869.jpe  
Old 02-03-2011, 06:48 PM

Wobble stitch is just a zig-zag stitch that the width and length have been changed to resemble a hand quilting stitch. Set your width to 0.5mm and length to 3.0mm and try it. I love to wobble. Allows you to not have to sew a perfect straight line.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:05 PM

Wobble stitch is just a zig-zag stitch that the width and length have been changed to resemble a hand quilting stitch. Set your width to 0.5mm and length to 3.0mm and try it. I love to wobble. Allows you to not have to sew a perfect straight line.
Ok - I'll give it a try!
Old 04-10-2011, 03:42 AM

Me too! Makes the possibility of actually quilting your quilt yourself without having to spend the money on a longarm machine. The pictures below are an example of taking a traditional block and assembling it the Cotton Theory way to show that you can take any block and turn it into a Cotton Theory Quilt. Our quilt guild always has a mystery quilt pattern and I finished mine using Cotton Theory to quilt.
So, did you have to do a sashing (connector) on this or is the white just part of the actual block that you made? This is absolutely beautiful. I was given the book by a very generous person on this board but haven't had the nerve to try anything yet for fear of messing it up.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:58 AM

I tried that wobble stitch and it's pretty neat!
Old 04-11-2011, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky Lady
So, did you have to do a sashing (connector) on this or is the white just part of the actual block that you made? This is absolutely beautiful. I was given the book by a very generous person on this board but haven't had the nerve to try anything yet for fear of messing it up.
Why not try to make just one section and familiarize yourself with the pattern instructions?