Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cotton Thread Count?

Where does one find a thread counter? I have asked the sales reps about thread count and most of them have no idea.

I ordered one from an eBay seller - they're also called linen testers. :)

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    The sheets that I buy at WM for my backing are 200 count.

Quote Originally Posted by ewecansew
    Where does one find a thread counter? I have asked the sales reps about thread count and most of them have no idea.
    They're available all over the internet, just Google 'linen tester'. You can also just use a 6X (or stronger) magnifying glass.

Thanks, ghostrider and the polyparrot. I Googled and I have a similar device, but I am not sure of the power. So you use the little scale on the bottom portion and if it is for cotton/linen, it will have numbers like 60/inch, etc? Just trying to clarify how it gives the scale.

Quote Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ
    If anyone says that's fine for quilts, I'm going to Macy's this weekend! The floral bed sheets she purchased are very pretty, and they were $8.99 a set, twin size.
    Why not fine? I live in Poland where we have almost no "quilting cotton" and I use clothing, sheets and curtains from the used clothing store. If it 100% cotton it gets snapped up very, very quickly. It works just fine. Really.

To be honest, if it is the right color, I'll even use 50/50, but I don't prefer to--usually just keep looking for 100% cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ
    If anyone says that's fine for quilts, I'm going to Macy's this weekend! The floral bed sheets she purchased are very pretty, and they were $8.99 a set, twin size.
    Why not fine? I live in Poland where we have almost no "quilting cotton" and I use clothing, sheets and curtains from the used clothing store. If it 100% cotton it gets snapped up very, very quickly. It works just fine. Really.

To be honest, if it is the right color, I'll even use 50/50, but I don't prefer to--usually just keep looking for 100% cotton.

Blog Entries
    You can use whatever you want to use. If you like the feel of them why not? There are no rules!

Sheets may be ok for machine quilting, but if you are using them for hand quilting, buy the cheapest one you can find. They are less thread count and easier to quilt through. I have used only one sheet and it was for a whole cloth quilt I did several years ago. Good luck!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast