Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: cotton thread

Blog Entries
    I read on a thread website that "Cotton threads will ...shrink in the wash,
    so treat them as you would cotton fabrics." With cotton fabrics, I
    preshrink them, but I don't see any way to preshrink cotton thread. If I
    use it in a quilt for which all the fabrics have been preshrunk, will it
    shrink and distort the quilt when it is washed?

I have had that happen in one quilt of the hundreds that I have made. It turned out to be my favorite quilt once that happened, because it gave the quilt a great old fashion look. I must emphasize that it happened once, when I had no clue what I was doing, and I used cheap thread. Now that I use better quality threads that never happens.

Maria

Cotton thread can shrink. It depends on the quality of the thread. If you have a thread made with LONG STAPLE cotton, it should not shrink. If the thread is lower quality then shrinkage is inevitable

Blog Entries
    Does mercerized mean that it won't shrink? I couldn't find any evidence that it means that.

I have a quick questions. I'm using YLI cotton thread...is this one of the ones that will/might shrink. I don't remember if it was expensive or not.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    YLI is good quality long staple thread - I've used it a lot, as well as Aurifil and never had any trouble with either! :D

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    YLI is good quality long staple thread - I've used it a lot, as well as Aurifil and never had any trouble with either! :D
    Thanks for the quick reply...I was starting to panic. I've been doing EPP and it's been a LOT of sewing and I'd just hate for it to be for nothing. :lol: :lol: :lol: Phew!!

Blog Entries
    Do you think it would be safer to use a poly/cotton thread for piecing just to make sure there's no shrinkage?

Quote Originally Posted by carol45
    Does mercerized mean that it won't shrink? I couldn't find any evidence that it means that.
    Mercerized means it has been run thru a flame at high speed to burn off any lint and fiber ends.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    No probs Sharon - I've used miles of the stuff for EPP and the quilt (my daughter's!) is still in one piece after umpteen washes! I also use it to machine piece and as a bobbin thread when quilting. :D

Re poly/cotton, I think this is really down to personal preference. I know a lot of quilters love to use some of the speciality threads which are poly. Personally, if I'm using cotton fabric (and I nearly always do!) I prefer to use cotton thread. I believe there will be a 'tension' between the different materials otherwise and the stitching may develop stress points. Plus, I just 'like' working with natural materials wherever possible, although I occasionally use poly wadding for wall hangings, I only use cotton for quilts. JMHO! :D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast