Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cotton vs poly blend

I bought four boxes of fabric and patterns at a garage sale last weekend for $12. There is about 30 patterns (some quilt, craft and a lot of clothing) that are current and never used. Plus a ton of fabric. Some of the fabric is fat quarters, some is cut into 6.5 inch squares, some is poly blend, some fleece some ????

The big question is "how is poly blend to use in quilting"? or should I just give it away.

Even without the poly-blend, I still think I got a great deal.

Well, if it were me, and I wanted to make a scrap quilt for myself, just for fun, I would use it. I know it wouldn't turn into an heirloom, but for me, personally, that would be fine.

I come from a long line of quilter's and if we liked the fabric, we used it. I have several quilts my Mother made over 30 yrs. ago of polly blend. I don't have a problem with it.

I'd give it away or find another use. I don't like polyester in my quilts at all. I don't like the feel and it doesn't look or feel as nice as cotton, IMO.

Blog Entries
    It's fine to use poly blend for a quilt, but I would advise not mixing poly blends with cotton in the same quilt. This is because cotton fades over time, with exposure to light, while cotton poly blends do not. Years down the line the quilt can look quite "spotty" with brilliant colors in some pieces and faded colors in others.

Poly blend is a little more difficult to work with than cotton. It frays more easily and is more slippery (harder to make seams meet exactly). You might want to choose a pattern that does not have a lot of exacting seam matching. Depending on how much it frays, you also might want to make your seam allowances 3/8" or even 1/2".

Blog Entries
    I agree - Don't mix with cotton.
    No reason you can't make anything you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    It's fine to use poly blend for a quilt, but I would advise not mixing poly blends with cotton in the same quilt. This is because cotton fades over time, with exposure to light, while cotton poly blends do not. Years down the line the quilt can look quite "spotty" with brilliant colors in some pieces and faded colors in others.

Poly blend is a little more difficult to work with than cotton. It frays more easily and is more slippery (harder to make seams meet exactly). You might want to choose a pattern that does not have a lot of exacting seam matching. Depending on how much it frays, you also might want to make your seam allowances 3/8" or even 1/2".
    great info.

I have used the poly blend in quilts. I don't mix it with the 100% cotton. It wears like iron and the colors do not fade.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99

Good info!

Another reason not to mix the two is that cotton can withsstand higher ironing temperature. Poly-cotton may shrink or ''shrivel'' when touched by a hot iron - guess how I know!?!?. yep, been there, done\ that.

Blog Entries
    I used polyblend for years. They make good quilts and the colors don't fade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast