Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Country1's husband has another Singer question please

Local thrift store has a Singer 306K in cabinet and with accessories for $22.50. Looks well cared for and a new looking belt. Is this girl a good prospect for machine lovers and users? Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I'd jump on it.

Blog Entries
    Grab it! They are listed on ebay right now from $99 to $300 without a cabinet. Looks like a sturdy workhorse.

I stalled last week about purchasing an old turquoise Precision Deluxe model ST Belvedere - also $40.00 w/ many accessories, in a cabinet - next day I went back & it was gones. (: I think the sales clerk at Goodwill bought it - she was going on & on about how cute it was & when I tried it out w/ my fabric in the store, she was right there drooling over it, & said she'd like it too.

I would pass on this particular machine and its two common sisters. It was made subsequent to the 206 and was the precursor to the 319.

They all take a 206x1 needle and when you can find them, they only come in two or three sizes. (14 and 16, I think) Naturally, they are also a lot more expensive than the "standard" 15x1 needle.

Some people have re-timed these machines to work with a 15x1 needle and the bobbin cases are often chewed up and destroyed because of it.

The 306 is kind of a clunky behemoth - the 319 is interesting for the "typewriter keys" that select the stitches, but I wouldn't even buy one of those. There are a lot more machines that are just as capable and don't require special needles. :)

On the other hand, if the machine appeals to you, you don't need any more reason than that to buy it - especially at that price. :)

For 22.50???.....grab it up!! Before someone else does!