Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
covering a piano bench >

covering a piano bench

covering a piano bench

Old 07-06-2014, 02:22 PM

Default covering a piano bench

I would like to cover my piano bench but have no idea how to do this. It's a plain piece of wood hinged . . no insert. Any suggestions whom I might contact about this?
Old 07-06-2014, 05:47 PM

I would get a piece of foam, 3" thick. You could glue it down to the wood with spray glue, or just leave it. Take a sheet or a piece of muslin and staple it down on the underneath side of the top. You could remove the hinges and mark the muslin with a pencil to indicate the screw holes (for later use when you reattach the hinges). Pull the muslin over the sides to round the sides of the foam. Next, take your upholstery piece, or whatever you are using for the top, and staple that over the muslin, again marking the holes for the hinges. You have several options for the underneath of the top. You could use an upholstery trim and glue it or staple it over the edges of the fabric to cover it; or,you could take the upholstery fabric and cover the entire piece, but adding trim or velcro to finish off the edges of the fabric. You could open the velcro and slip secret or important papers inside. That is an option. If you are using a vinyl or leather, you could finish the edges off in nail heads, your choice of color. Hope this helps. I have done this before, and I have had no trouble. If you need help, please contact me.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Mine didn't have a hinge. I just bought some thick foam and tightly stapled the fabric to the back and then screwed it onto the legs. You could contact anyone who does upholstery. This probably should have been posted in

General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
A place for photos and non-personal, general-interest subjects not related to quilting.

Just FYI. Good Luck

Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 07-07-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:45 AM

I didn't want to make mine permanent or in any damage the integrity of the bench. The piano and bench both had beautiful inlaid designs.

I made a fitted slipcover type of cover. The padding was separate and in it's own cover fit to the top and around the corners of the bench thus the top of the bench was really protected from harm. Then the 'real' decorative cover went over this. It made it easy to wash and I could change outer decorative covers with the seasons if I wanted to.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:35 AM

I did a crazy quilt type cover, similar to AliKat. It's a fitted slip cover that comes down the sides and can be removed. My bench has an old padded top. It was easy. I just made a rectangle the size of the top including the amount of overhang needed for all 4 sides. Then I sewed the corners on the backside of the quilt, just like making 90 degree darts.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:33 AM

I just made a foam cushion like you see for outside furniture...but I attached ties, but mine was hinged.....so maybe your ties could go under the entire seat. Less permanent that stapling a new cover on......
Old 07-07-2014, 03:36 PM

I would make a quilt of the right size with ties to tie to the top of the piano bench, or ties at the corners to tie to the legs of the piano bench, unless you want the added foam. You could still do the same thing, as a cushion. Look at the chair pads in your local store, for ideas on fastening it to the bench. I have a personal issue with harming wood furniture with paint and staples.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:09 AM

Thank you for your wonderful ideas.