Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Craft Fair question >

Craft Fair question

Craft Fair question

Old 09-26-2015, 01:59 PM

Default Craft Fair question

The company I work for is having a craft fair, and everything has to be homemade. I am planning to make quilted placemats and coasters. A friend and I recently attended a local craft fair. A booth selling quilted items had a sign that said "all fabric used are from a pet-free, smoke-free home". Since I am very allergic to pets, I was drawn to that booth. I am also considering posting a similar sign at my booth. However, my pet-loving friend thought the sign was offensive, implying that fabric from a home with pets are not as worthy as fabric from a pet-friendly home. I do not share her sentiments but now wonder if posting such a sign is a good idea.

My question is two-fold. One, for those of you with allergies, would you be more likely to buy things from a pet-free, smoke-free home? Two, does posting a sign even matter?

Thank you!

Gail
Old 09-26-2015, 02:28 PM

Personally, I appreciate this information...when my children were living at home I had 2 extremely "pet hair" allergic people to worry about. I used to just hope that the signs were truthful!!! I never consider it to be a "slur" on people who do smoke or have pets in their home and people who view it as such probably have little experience with the discomfort others can suffer when having allergic reactions.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:31 PM

The sign is NOT offensive. The smell of cigarette smoke is strong and someone can usually tell if the products have been exposed to it. Pet dander is not so obvious but can cause extreme reactions in allergic people. If you can honestly post that sign, then do it. It may also draw customers to your booth.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:35 PM

I think it's a great idea. People with allergies will appreciate the notice and know that your product is safe for them. It is in no way offensive. And yes, I have pets.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:57 PM

I agree with the sign. A coworker once made me a small crochet afghan and although it was beautiful, I had to wash it four times to get the cig smell out of it. I also don't like pet hair on my things. It's a turn off to me when people make quilts and then take pics with their pets on them. And we've had many different hairy pets over the years, lol.

I wouldn't take the sign as having anything to do with the fabric, in fact, if there was no sign I may even ask the question.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:01 PM
Power Poster

Anything that helps to draw a customer, isn't that the goal? I would put up the signs.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:39 PM

I, too, would appreciate such information. Good luck at the sale.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:06 PM

I would put a sign like this in the same category as "Baked items may contain or have come in contact with nut products" It is information to the consumer and should definitely be posted.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:13 PM

I have asthma and my husband is allergic to dogs. We have passed many a booth, used cars, and friends homes by due to both. We can not help what smoke and dogs cause to us but we can help reduce the exposure. It is nice to see the signs, but if someone is not truthful we know immediately and start horrible sounding coughs.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:40 PM

As a dog owner, I would not find the sign offensive. Is it possible your friend will also have a booth and is perhaps afraid yours might have an advantage over hers?