Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Craft/Quilt fair info! >

Craft/Quilt fair info!

Craft/Quilt fair info!

Old 07-18-2010, 09:30 AM

Does anyone ever have a table/booth at a craft fair or something? Do you sell your quilts at it? Take custom orders? Sell anything else at it?

I would love to be able to have a table/booth at a craft fair. We have a lot of farmers markets but never ever will you see a quilting or craft table/booth, the Calgary quilt guild told me not to ever do one at a farmers market here because it is all stolen or knock off merchandise.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Banned

I am planning on doing a craft fair in Sept. My aunt is in charge of the show at the Senior Citizens Center. Hope it will work, as I don't want to make too much and then land up having all this stuff on hand.

Originally Posted by Aully
Does anyone ever have a table/booth at a craft fair or something? Do you sell your quilts at it? Take custom orders? Sell anything else at it?

I would love to be able to have a table/booth at a craft fair. We have a lot of farmers markets but never ever will you see a quilting or craft table/booth, the Calgary quilt guild told me not to ever do one at a farmers market here because it is all stolen or knock off merchandise.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:18 AM

I participated in one craft fair so far. I sold cat toys with cat nip in them, cat mats with cat nip in them. They went pretty well. I did have left overs and gave them to my local animal shelter. I have thought of selling pin cushions of all kinds, table runners, place mats, beaded ornaments. I haven't got anything organized as of yet. I think smaller quilted items like wall hangings, table runners, would sell more easily at a craft fair. Also quilted tree ornaments. At fairs I have been too, crafters selling bed size quilts didn't seem to do too well, but it may be different in your area.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:32 AM

I have been doing craft fairs for over 20 years.
A few tid bits I can share
1. it never failed when I had full size quilts , someone wanted it bigger ...smaller.... one fabric was not exacty what they wanted. Too many comments I can buy it for less at....( they refered to imports from China).
2. Small items under $100 dollars will always sell better. Under fifty even better than $100.
3. Most people at shows are typically buying in impulse... unless just before Mothers Day or Christmas.
4. Picking what show you will do is the most important decision. Do not waste time and effort at small shows.
5.Juried shows will typically be better since they are selecting the best of the best and have a good following and reputation to do so.
6. Producing inventory for a sizable show takes along time but ... I would rather do One or two big shows than lots of small shows that have poor revenue. Color is trendy ... be careful on too much inventory in a color(s) that will be out of trend. Know when to stop producing a item or color.
7. Do look in retail to see what colors are trending. I always go trend shopping twice per year , plus research on what is shown in catologs.
8. The last comment ... most consumers are cluless on the real time to make quilts or other handmade items and will compare to what they see in retail from walmart to Macy's. but there are some who do value quality in both workmanship and design who will pay/purchase.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:58 PM

Lori.... You said it ALL I could not have said it better myself. I have done this for many years also and it always worked for me to have smaller items in various trendy colors.
Originally Posted by Lori S
I have been doing craft fairs for over 20 years.
A few tid bits I can share
1. it never failed when I had full size quilts , someone wanted it bigger ...smaller.... one fabric was not exacty what they wanted. Too many comments I can buy it for less at....( they refered to imports from China).
2. Small items under $100 dollars will always sell better. Under fifty even better than $100.
3. Most people at shows are typically buying in impulse... unless just before Mothers Day or Christmas.
4. Picking what show you will do is the most important decision. Do not waste time and effort at small shows.
5.Juried shows will typically be better since they are selecting the best of the best and have a good following and reputation to do so.
6. Producing inventory for a sizable show takes along time but ... I would rather do One or two big shows than lots of small shows that have poor revenue. Color is trendy ... be careful on too much inventory in a color(s) that will be out of trend. Know when to stop producing a item or color.
7. Do look in retail to see what colors are trending. I always go trend shopping twice per year , plus research on what is shown in catologs.
8. The last comment ... most consumers are cluless on the real time to make quilts or other handmade items and will compare to what they see in retail from walmart to Macy's. but there are some who do value quality in both workmanship and design who will pay/purchase.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:05 PM

I do one local craft show every year. Usually had good luck with baby quilts (cheater panels with hand quilting), but last year I didn't sell one. Table runners are usually good, Christmas table toppers, I thought pillows would be a good seller but people say "I don't have room for another pillow" so you want things that can be easily put away. My prices are low, basically cover expenses with a little left over (for more fabric). These are quick but nice items that help defray the cost of the things I make that I love.

Hope you do well if you decide to go ahead.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:18 PM

Thank you all for the comments!