Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Craftsy classes? >

Craftsy classes?

Craftsy classes?

Old 03-14-2016, 06:43 AM

Default Craftsy classes?

Has anyone taken a class from Craftsy. A local guild is having a teacher that also has classes on Craftsy. I am wondering if the "in person" class would be better than an online one that you could watch whenever you wanted to.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mimosa91 View Post
Has anyone taken a class from Craftsy. A local guild is having a teacher that also has classes on Craftsy. I am wondering if the "in person" class would be better than an online one that you could watch whenever you wanted to.
The Craftsy classes are great. One of the nice things is that you can have contact with the teacher for feedback but the best thing is that once you buy them, they belong to you. No time limit, you can watch them as much as you want. This also includes the free ones. If you don't like a class they'll refund you.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

I have enjoyed many of the Craftsy classes, but a live class taught by a real professional is a whole different experience. I would definitely take the class in person.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

I haven't taken a class from Craftsy but I prefer the "in person" experience. I also meet a lot of neat quilters in classes I have taken. You really don't meet anyone new taking a class online.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:43 AM

I have taken 2 free classes and love them. I work full-time and love the flexibility of being able to view them at any time.... for as many times as I need.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

I have taken crafty classes that have worked well for me- since I work nights it is difficult to catch an in person class.the classes are well done. I Love managing to go to classes/ workshops our guild hosts though-- it is always great to have the real person instead of a video and questions, interaction are personal and immediate. Even if I take 10 Genny Beyer classes on crafty, if she came to town I would do what ever I could to go. ( or any other teacher who I enjoy )
Old 03-14-2016, 11:17 AM

Craftsy classes are great! I've definitely a lot learned from them. Because of limited mobility, I can't sit through live classes very easily so I appreciate the opportunity to take them online at my own speed. However, as Judy explained, it is really nice to get feedback from a live instructor & to be able to ask back-and-forth questions during a workshop. Also, if I can't see the detail on something, at a workshop I can go up or ask for the item to be passed around. Craftsy videos are excellent & usually they provide enough close-ups, but not always.

If I had the opportunity to take both (Craftsy classes go on sale from time to time, usually around holidays & Easter is coming up), I'd do both. If I had to pick one & was physically able to attend the workshop, I'd pick the workshop.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:30 AM

I've taken 4 classes so far - two with Angela Walters and two photography classes. Love, love, LOVE that I can go back and look at the lessons any time I want. And, believe me, I have! You can't do that with an in-person class. Plus, I didn't have anyone asking to borrow my tools, asking "What did she mean by that?", or distracting me in general. Having the teacher available to ask questions is great. I don't feel like everyone is rolling their eyes at me when I ask a question! Yep, I'll take one of these classes anytime over an in-person class. It feels like I'm their only student, one-on-one.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

I have signed up for a boat-load of craftsy classes and had mostly good experiences. Who is the teacher?

The nice thing about craftsy is that you can watch and re-watch the lesson however often you need to. With a in-person class, once the time is up and you go home, all you can count on is your memory and notes.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:09 PM

I've taken a Craftsy class with an instructor that did a workshop for our guild - Well worth both - in my case, it was Jacqui Gehring.