Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Craig's list/Ebay scam >

Craig's list/Ebay scam

Craig's list/Ebay scam

Old 02-05-2011, 06:00 PM

The other day I saw a craig's list offer of a Bernina 820 for $1,800. That's an absolute steal-I saw that same machine at the Bernina dealer today for $6,400.

I emailed the seller with some questions: why are you getting rid of it, is there any warranty, etc. Here's the response I received:
"Here is how it will work:
First of all I will need the following details from you: Full Name and Full Shipping Address.
After I will receive the details from you, I will forward them to eBay. After they will process your info, they will send us both invoices.
eBay will contact me and I will release the shipping of the machine to you (the shipping will take 2-3 days). After you receive it you will have 5 days to test, verify and do whatever you need to the machine. If you will buy, then I will receive the payment from eBay so that I can pick up the money. If you will decide that you will not buy it, eBay will refund your money 100% and the machine shipped back on my expenses."

So I called Ebay and they said it was not legit (which I figured)

I harbored the thought for a moment that someone had legitimately fallen on hard times. Well, I dreamed for a moment!
Old 02-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Cyn

This is one of the reasons I simply can't deal with places like that. I just don't know all the right questions to ask in order to not get ripped off.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:12 PM

I have a similar thing happen with crags list ads I have posted when I was selling items. They contact you, say they are unable to come pick up the item, but will send you a money order plus extra for shipping. They will arrange to have it picked up but you pay the shipping fee (from the money they sent you). The e mails are obviously from someone who cannot speak very good english and I know it was a scam. It happened to me four times in a row.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:18 PM

I delt with a person a couple of months ago. I knew it was a scam and I kept emailing her and I told her I had turned her over to Ebay as they do not do business this way. I went to check her ad several minutes later and she had deleted it. You really have to watch these crooks!!!
Old 02-05-2011, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by feffertim
I have a similar thing happen with crags list ads I have posted when I was selling items. They contact you, say they are unable to come pick up the item, but will send you a money order plus extra for shipping. They will arrange to have it picked up but you pay the shipping fee (from the money they sent you). The e mails are obviously from someone who cannot speak very good english and I know it was a scam. It happened to me four times in a row.
Same thing happened to me. I was selling some items on craigslist for my mother-in-law. They actually sent her a certified check for over the amount she was selling the item for, they told her to cash the check and send them the difference by Western Union. Well, I had watched an Oprah show on exactly this same thing happening to a girl, and she got duped out of $5,000. So I told my MIL to take the check to the police dept with the e-mails, and she was told this happens a lot and there is really nothing they can do about it. You just have to be aware and if something sounds fishy, it probably is!!
Old 02-05-2011, 06:32 PM

yes, this happens both buying and selling. I even had a $20 item on once and it attracted the scammers.

And no, ebay does not do an "escrow" service for craigslist.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:34 PM

If it seems too good to be true----it probably is.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
yes, this happens both buying and selling. I even had a $20 item on once and it attracted the scammers.

And no, ebay does not do an "escrow" service for craigslist.
Ptquilts - I just love your profile photo! I am crazy about string quilts. Have made one, but have "string" to make a gazillion more - just need to make the time. Next project.... maybe lol :)
Old 02-05-2011, 06:39 PM

Don't trust anybody.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:33 PM

This Bernina 820 Scam is rampant now on CL. There are postings of it for sale in the $1400 to $1800 range ALL over the country in many different cities. ALL using the same, stock photo. It irritates me that CL doesn't have some sort of filtering or alert system for scams like this. But, ultimately it's always buyers beware and obviously this is too good to be true!