Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: craigslist find-decent deal

Blog Entries
    thank you feathers! that's great advice. i have a new viking tribute 140c....but not really sure i want to use that for machine quilting on the frame....any thoughts on that?

It's a great frame and you got it for a great price. Before I got a voyager I used a vintage singer with the hand control. It worked really well.

Quote Originally Posted by twoxover View Post
    i found a used hinterberg Machine Quilting Frame with a hand speed control and a template board of vines on craigslist. she wanted 500-, i offerred two and she accepted i will be picking it up in a week or so (she's a couple of hours from me)....

soooo, for awhile i'll be using a dsm with it. is this a decent price? any tips/concerns to be on the look out for? it's my first foray into quilting with a quilting frame....

Betsey
    You got a steal, in my opinion, and you're going to love it. I began freehand quilting on a DSM with NO FRAME and quilted lots of quilts that way---up to full size. Then I got a Grace frame and used a Juki DSM (9" harp, I think) with it. Thought I'd died and gone to Heaven. I now have a Gammill longarm because I do lots of custom quilting for others, but if all you want to do is quilt your own quilts, you're set, girl. Congratulations!!!

so is a singer 201 good at quilting? is that harp longer than most?

[QUOTE=Feathers-N-Fur;5705298]A vintage Singer 201 has an 8.5 inch harp, and you can usually find them for less than $100 on Craigslist. Worth the money if you only have a standard machine with a 4-7 inch harp. Enjoy your new frame.[5?/QUOTE]

I bought a Hinterberg frame from a friend who had purchased it from someone who was moving. My friend had set it up but never actually used it and I suspect that the woman she bnought it from rarely used it eiither. I picked it up for $300. I am embarassed to say that it is sitting in a corner of my basement and I have not even tried to set it up (I've had it for at least a year.) I also have 2 singer 201's- one my mother used daily which sits in a cabinet and 1 my dad had picked up at a rummage years ago for $1- also runs great but need to purchase a darning foot for it. Feathers, you may have motivated me to put the 2 together and quilt on a frame! I suppose I'll ask myself what took so long!!!!

I have a Juki on my Hinterberg frame. Love the combination!
    Lori McC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2