Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cranston / VIP / Quilting Treasures - no longer selling through distributors >

Cranston / VIP / Quilting Treasures - no longer selling through distributors

Cranston / VIP / Quilting Treasures - no longer selling through distributors

Old 08-10-2009, 06:08 AM

How many of us really use a whole bolt of the same fabric?
Old 08-10-2009, 06:12 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

It depends on what you're doing. If you are adding to a stash or making a few blocks for a quilt, then no, you certainly don't need a full bolt. But if you want to make a matching dust ruffle, or curtains, or tablecloth, that would use up a lot of fabric fast.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lfw045
How many of us really use a whole bolt of the same fabric?
I get favorites that I love to use and when I go back to get more it may be discontinued so I have learned it is better to have more than I need than less so I won't end up without that one fabric that I can't live without!

I just started buying by the bolt and I love knowing I will not run out for awhile no matter what i decide to make. It will go in alot of differant projects.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:33 PM

often i buy a bolt to make a quilt back. whatever is left becomes pillow cases. lots of cases. they get shabby from all the washings, while the quilts stay nice looking from careful care. when you add in the binding or borders, it disappears very quickly.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:43 PM

Re. buying a bolt of fabric- I have bought a bolt of fabric several times. Once in solid white, once a green with polka dots and another time a solid blue. In the case of the colors it was a steal so I bought it all, and with the white, I just use so much of it that I bought a whole bolt at Joann's with a coupon. It's gone now, so I need to get another bolt.

I am enjoying reading your posts Favorite. You are very informative and I enjoy the behind the scenes view. Thanks!!
Old 08-10-2009, 08:47 PM

hey...that's a good way to use those 50% coupons! who doesn't use white? or muslin? a bolt would be nothing!
Old 08-10-2009, 09:04 PM

What is the difference between a business customer and a distributor? Isn't a distributor a business?

Old 08-11-2009, 04:19 AM

A distributor is HUGE. They carry fabrics from a large number of manufacturers, and usually notions, patterns, tools etc. They buy below wholesale and sell at wholesale prices. (I've always wondered how much they get to mark up their prices but have never found out!)

Anyway... they typically have a few favorite lines that they keep in stock (including basics, such as their favorite line of solids and blenders) and the rest they special-order from the manufacturers, as they receive orders for those items from their own customers. It can take 6-8 weeks for them to receive the goods and send them out, if you're ordering something that they do not have in stock.

A business customer is basically anybody who can buy in bulk - full bolt(s) - who also has a tax number (this is the number that a state issues, for the purpose of authorizing a businees to collect sales tax).

If you're just a regular person who wants one or two full bolts to do a big quilt/decorating project, then you won't have a tax id and the manufacturers/distributors will not sell to you. If you're a "professional crafter/quilter/sewer" then you probably have a tax id (required for most of the larger arts & craft shows these days, at least in NY).
Old 08-11-2009, 07:59 AM

Thanks for the explanation!

So when this company decided not to sell through distributors any more, it doesn't really mean they can't buy the fabric, because they'd qualify to do so as a business customer. It just means they won't get exclusive rights to distribute the fabric and won't get the below-wholesale prices, right?
Old 08-11-2009, 08:02 AM

You're most welcome!