Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
crayola washable markers vs the ultra washable markers >

crayola washable markers vs the ultra washable markers

crayola washable markers vs the ultra washable markers

Old 09-01-2014, 02:21 PM

Default crayola washable markers vs the ultra washable markers

I have used the Crayola washable markers for some time for marking my quilts.. I have loved how they work. Recently I have started noticing the ultra washable markers... has anyone tried these yet? I realize that some here have mentioned having trouble with certain colors of washable markers coming out.. however I have never experienced this. Now this week I used the "ultra washable" markers.. they were a great deal in the back to school section of the store. I am having trouble with them washing out... I have never had this. My quilt is in the washer for the 3rd time... hoping for the 3rd time to be the charm. I am just wondering if anyone here has noticed a difference in these new ultra washable markers. I don't really know if I left the quilt out longer before I washed it (but the markers were on there no more than 24 hours) or if the fabric is extra sensitive...my quilt is 3 fabrics. The marker washed out of 2 of the fabrics, but its the third that is hanging on to the marker... this fabric happens to be the Moda Marbles. Any thoughts?
Old 09-01-2014, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

I bought them for my two year old grandson. The ultra wipes off and washes off everything. I did notice the red didn't wash away completely from his hands the first time.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:47 PM

I had bought them to mark my quilt too, but hadn't got there yet. seems the reds are the issue. I keep going back to my Colored pencils , crayola, or the other brans ( I forgot the name). They work great and I stay away from the reds.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:49 PM

I use the Ultra Clean markers to mark my quilt. I don't have any issue with washing them out -- usually I soak them in the tub with cool water for 20-30 minutes. Most of the colors come out that way. If there are any stubborn areas (and sometimes the reds will temporarily bleed onto nearby areas of the fabric), then I take a soft sponge with a bit of Tide Clear or Woolite & rub the fabric a couple times. Then I drain the water & run fresh water. 10-15 minutes later, all the color is out.
I do know other members have said that on occasion there will be a particular fabric that retains one or more of the colors. I always do a quick test before starting to mark with the Ultra Clean markers (or any markers, for that matter b/c some people also complain about the little Blue fabric markers not coming out).

I know the Crayola site recommends using warm water to wash the markers out, but I only use cool to cold temp water. Maybe try soaking the quilt for a longer time & rub a bit with a sponge & laundry soap (that always does the trick for me!). If that still doesn't work, you could try washing in the machine with warm water like the instructions say and see if that works. Good luck!
Old 09-01-2014, 04:10 PM

ok the third time was not a charm... I used Shout both try 1, 2 and 3. I used Borax on try 2. I used hot water on try 2 and 3.. I soaked 20 minutes on try 2....but try #4 I used put Dawn dish soap on the spots not washing out and now it all appears to be gone. Maybe Dawn dish soap is the trick.. or maybe it the 4th wash that did the job.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:24 PM

I've also used SoftSoap in a pinch. It works quite nicely. But yes, I forgot that one time when I had got the Dawn out to bathe my mat, I accidentally used it on the marker marks. Sorry to hear you had so much trouble with the Ultra Cleans. I just LOVE them. I have even left the red marker on for 4 days once & it still came out no problem. Dyed the bath water all pink & freaked me out, but sure enough, it all came out with the 2nd rinse.
I have switched to the UltraClean crayons for some things, though. They only come in fat tip, I think, but they usually come out with just plain water & a white rag. I just wet the rag a bit & rub for about 30 seconds & most of it comes out. The rest will just brush off once it dries. The nice thing about the crayons is that there's no risk of getting marker down into the batting. I have ironed over both the markers & the crayons and they still come out. Can't really beat that for functionality -- iron, sew, quilt, apply heat, use steam & leave on for days.

The only thing I can't say for sure if it's okay is how the markers react with sizing or starch. I pre-wash all my fabrics & don't starch them once they're marked. Hopefully you won't have those kind of problems ever again. So glad you got it out of your quilt.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
ok the third time was not a charm... I used Shout both try 1, 2 and 3. I used Borax on try 2. I used hot water on try 2 and 3.. I soaked 20 minutes on try 2....but try #4 I used put Dawn dish soap on the spots not washing out and now it all appears to be gone. Maybe Dawn dish soap is the trick.. or maybe it the 4th wash that did the job.
Yes, I love Dawn. I use it on tablecloth spots with a toothbrush, then soak in the washing machine overnight and no spots. Never use bleach. Oh, yeh, I use a plastic liner under my tablecloth- drink spill one time with table all set and ready to sit down to meal and that cured me.