Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Crazy quilt >

Crazy quilt

Crazy quilt

Old 01-15-2012, 07:50 AM

Default Crazy quilt

Has anyone made a crazy quilt ? I am interested in making one . Can you mix velvets and cottons ? Should you use different type fabrics together like wool or corduro ? I have no ideal but love the look of them. Do you do all hand stitching ?
Old 01-15-2012, 08:30 AM

I haven't made one yet but have "researched" them. From what I gather, you can use just about any fabric. What I would watch out for is the purpose of your quilt and if the materials are washable. There are washable wools and rayon velvets. I am in the process of making a quilt now that didn't start out to be a crazy quilt, but now has elements of appliqué', crazy quilting, stupendous stitching and anything else you could possibly think of!
Oh this all sounded so familiar to me I just ran down to my quilting room and found MY book: Crazy Shortcut Quilts by Marguerita McManus and Sarah Raffuse. Duh, me!
It says, "If you want to use silk, lawns, laces, sheers and other delicate fabrics, we suggest you learn how to best stabilize that fabric and do some practice sewing... and "Heavy-weigth fabrics like wools, velvets, corduroy, etc. may stretch more than cottons and may also need a lightweight stabilizer to make them manageable during the cutting and piecing stage..."
It also mentions that you should think about the use of your quilt; will it be washed a lot and if so, maybe cottons would be better is the jest of it.
No matter what material you use, I think it will be fabulous and fun. Go for it!
Old 01-15-2012, 09:05 AM

I have just started learning to embroider and came across the most fantastic website that I know you will love if you are going to be a crazy quilter. Please check out Sharon B's blog. http://www.pintangle.com/
Old 01-15-2012, 09:11 AM

Velvet is not a good choice for a quilt that you intend to wash. Most velvet is a dry clean only fabric... and never looks the same if you do wash it. Velvet does not like to be pressed!
Old 01-15-2012, 09:50 AM

Historically, crazy quilts were meant soley for decorative purposes. They were made with scraps of silk, velvet, wool, etc. Many times when a fancy dress or jacket was no longer wearable, the fabrics from the garment were used for crazy quilts, table mats, etc. The scraps were usually sewn to a muslin backing (no batting) and scraps were added willy-nilly to the muslin as they became available. Thus, the name "Crazy Quilt". There was no set pattern to follow. They were usually embellished with beautiful hand embroidery using silk floss. So, if you are looking to make a purely decorative piece, use whatever fabrics you like or have. If you are going to use this as a utilitarian quilt, you need to use washable fabrics etc. Sorry to have taken up so much space, just thought you might like to have some of the history. Good Luck!
Old 01-15-2012, 09:54 AM

You can use fancy machine stitches along with or instead of hand embroidery.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:30 AM

I have made a couple of crazy quilts, out of silk, with fancy hand embroidery stitches. It was fun, but after two I think I am all crazied out. They were both lap size. I sold one and am giving the second one to my sister, who has a formal "parlor" in her house.

I would still like to make a cotton crazy quilt, without embroidery.
Attached Thumbnails 830crazy.jpg   830crazycua.jpg   830crazycub.jpg  
Old 01-15-2012, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
Velvet is not a good choice for a quilt that you intend to wash. Most velvet is a dry clean only fabric... and never looks the same if you do wash it. Velvet does not like to be pressed!
sorry, velvets are made from cotton (velveteen), rayon or silk....all these fabrics are washable... i wash my silk shirts ALL the time... dry cleaning is a huge boondoggle and they wash way more of your clothes than you think.... suits, fine, coats, fine, but crazy quilt? wash when necessary, which is not often, anyway... I put all my quilts into a dryer now and then to get rid of the dust before it gets into the middle of the quilt... ...and besides, rarely is there a fabric that cannot be washed if it is washed before sewing... if it does all of its shrinking and pulling and twisting before you cut and sew it, it will be fine... and the velvet will not be pressed after it is sewn and embroidered... if you need to press during construction, then turn face down, onto another pcs of velvet, or thick towel, steam from a half inch above, touching very lightly, the steam will do the work, do not squish... then turn over while hot and rub lightly, gently... with dry towel to bring up a nap...

Last edited by deemail; 01-15-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:08 PM

I LOVE crazy quilting and have made many-mostly small ones though. My avatar is a 24x24 wall hanging that I made with needle turn applique in the center. You can use ALL fabrics. If it is stretchy at all (velours) it is best to back the fabric pieces before cutting them out with an iron on stabilizer (light weight). I can't think of the name of it now, but it looks like gauze fabric. I've done all hand work on my pieces.
Attached Thumbnails my-craft-room_001_009.jpg   rehearsal-dinner-wedding-068.jpg  
Old 01-15-2012, 12:12 PM

I made one and it was the most fun. There really are no rules and it looks so great. Go for it, its just so much fun, use a decorative stitch on top and I sewed onto muslim, just gave it body.