Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Crazy Quilting

Quote Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
    Crazy quilting was the style that my grandmother used to make utility quilts for the home in the 1800's. She sewed hers to a foundation fabric . This predated Victorian Era quilts and she used it because since it didn't have a pattern and was made from scraps of odd, non-matching left over fabric and went together so fast it was her choice for utility quilts. Of course then all quilts were bedding but the utility quilts went under the pretty ones and since the fire was banked in the stove at night the house got cold enough to freeze water and you slept under several quilts. Just an odd bit of information that I remember her telling me. She was born in 1867 and didn't marry until she was 40.
    Thank you for sharing your story. I love quilting history.

crazy quilting

I've only done a little bit. You might check out the website for Edith Baker Montano or one of her books at your local quilt store. I would love to take a class from her!! Cindy Brick does wonderful work too. She teaches "hankie panky" quilts made with hankies. I took a class from her. She is great and has several books out. I think Cindy also has a website. I think you will enjoy crazy quilting.
    Let peace begin with me and you.

I'm in sooooo much trouble!!!!! I have been wanting to make a crazy quilt for quite awhile but just couldn't find a site that had everything in one place. Now that one has been posted I've gone to crazy quilt heaven and will be placing an order with them within the next month. So sew happy!

Rosie the Wyldwytch
    Grab a bull by the horns and enjoy the ride....

Blog Entries
    if you are doing a crazy quilt search for the doll quilt swap- crazy quilts. there are soooo many good ideas on the internet and on this board also.
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Blog Entries

Crazy Quilts

Tanya, I think its great that you learned all that history from your gm. I did not know either of my grandmothers which is sad I think. I only knew my mother's father. I was eight when he passed.

Lucy

Blog Entries
    Hope you'll come join our Crazy Quilt Doll Swap this month. We have almost tooooo much fun! Here's the link
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Blog Entries
    mostly just use scraps. did one with Christmas prints....made sure the center was a 'picture'...like a deer, drum, angel, whatever. did one once with fancy fabrics and did the embroidery work on it, then gave to a couple in their 70's who had just married. i noticed it on their bed, when we went to visit.
    did another for a couple who had stayed on a ranch.....we embroidered objects found on the ranch: a spur, the dog, deer, flowers, mountain, etc. then added the date, their name, name of the ranch, etc on the blocks. it was a fun project.
    enjoyed reading this site..love to sew. quilted for 47 yrs and still love it & learning new ideas

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5