Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cream of Tartar and Bleach >

Cream of Tartar and Bleach

Cream of Tartar and Bleach

Old 08-14-2014, 07:48 AM

Default Cream of Tarter and Bleach

Originally Posted by Quilter 65 View Post
Yesterday, I went to the Mo. State Fair. There was a beautiful cross-stitched quilt that a person had resurrected and completed. In the story, she mentioned that she had used, if I remember correctly, a whole can of cream of tartar and bleach to take out the rust stains. Diluted in water and swished about. I am hoping that someone knows about this, more than I read, and proportions, thoughts about what kept the embroidery thread from losing its colors, etc. There was a lady who also stood beside me and read the story and she was puzzled, too. The quilt was so pretty and dainty and certainly looked spanking new and no blue marks were left where the cross-stitch was, which she said had come out in the solution as well. Can anyone enlighten me about the process? Thank you.
I have heard that putting a couple of teaspoons of cream of tarter into a large pot of boiling water will brighten whites. I mentioned this to some nurses I worked with, they tried it, and said the whites did come out brighter. Maybe this is what the quilter did.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:05 AM

I have heard it mixed with peroxide for stains in a porcelain sink. I would NEVER put bleach on any rust stains as it SETS RUST.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilter 65 View Post
Had a husband waiting so had to move fast!!.
Why I go to quilt shows alone. LOL.

The woman probably wanted the quilt to look great for the show and not concerned about long term life. I doubt the bleach if diluted in water would weaken it enough to fall apart in her lifetime if not used as a bed quilt.

Last edited by Onebyone; 08-14-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:02 AM

It's more likely that the original stain was from the quilt being stored on wooden shelves or in wooden drawers, and not rust at all. The stain color is very similar, but for rust, you'd need both metal and water to be present and how often does that happen in quilt storage? Besides, diamondee is correct, chlorine bleach sets rust stains, it doesn't remove them.

Cream of tartar is more frequently mixed with hydrogen peroxide (or sometimes lemon juice) to remove stains, rust included, from fabric than it is with bleach. It's one of those vintage household remedies.

Last edited by ghostrider; 08-14-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:52 AM

Thanks to all, I learned something today. I will file the cream of tarter tip away for future reference.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:54 PM

Found this on-line which suggests cream of tartar and hydrogen peroxide.
A homemade paste of hydrogen peroxide and cream of tartar can be used to remove rust stains from fabrics or hard surfaces. Simply pour a couple tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide into a bowl and add cream of tartar until it forms a thick paste. Spread the paste over the rust stain and let it sit for 30 minutes. The acid in the cream of tartar and the oxygen bleach in the peroxide should ensure that when you rinse the paste away with water, it takes the rust with it.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:46 PM

I have only seen cream of tartar in the small cans in the baking aisle. Does it come in larger amounts?
Old 08-15-2014, 04:48 AM

You can buy cream of tarter in bigger containers at bulk food stores. We have lots of them here in MO that are run by the Mennonites or Amish.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:04 PM

I watched a PBS program one day a verylong time ago that showed Cream of Tartar mixed with vinegar into a paste that worked as a scrubbing agent for baked on foods on pots and glass baking dishes. It works wonderfully on my stove top to remove cooked on spill-overs. It has enough abrasiveness to clean but not scratch. Been using this method for years.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by dee1245 View Post
I watched a PBS program one day a verylong time ago that showed Cream of Tartar mixed with vinegar into a paste that worked as a scrubbing agent for baked on foods on pots and glass baking dishes. It works wonderfully on my stove top to remove cooked on spill-overs. It has enough abrasiveness to clean but not scratch. Been using this method for years.
thanks for posting this Dee1245! I've been trying everything to clean but not scratch my top :-)