Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Creating a fabric emporium ? >

Creating a fabric emporium ?

Creating a fabric emporium ?

Old 02-04-2014, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

My stash is too large. Most of the fabric has sit on the shelf for several years so I doubt it will get used in several more so why am I keeping it? I have a basket that I make myself fill each month to take to guild to use for donation quilts. I use to want a large stash and it is fun to have all that fabric but now all I feel is overwhelmed with too much. I have at last count over 26 quilt kits. If I do two a year that's over 12 years worth. Sometimes it's necessary to have a reality check.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:32 AM

I'm not even sure where all of my fabric stash came from -- I think it just magically appeared in my sewing room. My goal this year is to use mostly stash in my projects. I just finished a top that is totally stash and am now working on the quilting for one that is totally stash and a UFO on top of that. Haven't purchased any fabric since June and proud of it!!
Old 02-04-2014, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
As stated there are some drawbacks to buying without a project in mind. My stash started with blenders and white on white or cream on cream... and then grew from there. The neutrals will somehow always find its way into a quilt.. and they are wonderful to have on hand when purchased at the right price.
If you are content in your quilting process... don't feel compelled to have a stash ... there are plenty of us that have fabric purchase regrets.
I TOTALLY agree with Lori S. I am STILL adding blenders to my stash and very rarely buy any focus fabrics. I LOVE making a bargello, one tends to focus more on tonals or blenders than focus fabric. I keep wonder what I am going to do with all those calicos I collected in the 80s when I worked part time for House of Fabric just to get the then 25% off employee discount. Bought way to much but it was HARD to past up such a bargain especially when the calicos were on SALE !!!
Old 02-04-2014, 06:16 PM

Ok, it seems the consensus is that I should just continue my purchasing habits. ..buying fabrics for a specific quilt and be content with my 1 plastic bin of scraps and make a scrappy quilt once I have enough scraps.LOL
Old 02-04-2014, 06:37 PM

It won't take long to get enough leftovers to make a scrappy quilt.
Originally Posted by Nanny's dollface View Post
Ok, it seems the consensus is that I should just continue my purchasing habits. ..buying fabrics for a specific quilt and be content with my 1 plastic bin of scraps and make a scrappy quilt once I have enough scraps.LOL
Old 02-04-2014, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Nanny's dollface View Post
When I look at posted pictures of other's fabric stashes I drool over the coordinated colors, hues, and tones as I look at my single plastic bin that holds my leftover scrapes and I wonder....I wonder how you decide on a project with the fabrics you have on hand? How do you know if you have enough yardage of the fabrics to make the quilt you want?
I tend to buy fabric for a specific quilt pattern in mind any leftovers are placed in the bin. I see beautiful fabrics when I am out but only pat them and walk on by. So when you see a piece of fabric, how much do you buy without a pattern in mind?
Not a clue! When I see a fabric or fabrics that speak to me and I have no idea what I'll do, I usually buy 2 or three yards. Then I either have too much or I don't have enough when it comes time to make something. IMHO, it's a wasteful practice. A couple years ago I made a graduation quilt. I wanted it to be scrappy but controlled with his school colors (different reds, grays to blacks, different whites/creams) I bought so much fabric. Now I have so many pieces, I could probably make another or two quilts with that same fabric.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:41 PM

Nanny's dollface
I love your avatar pic quili!!
Old 02-04-2014, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
I wanted it to be scrappy but controlled with his school colors (different reds, grays to blacks, different whites/creams) I bought so much fabric. Now I have so many pieces, I could probably make another or two quilts with that same fabric.
So why don't you? Maybe a different pattern, but similar colors.

IN answer to the original OP....if you have a fabric store around you and the ability to get out when you want, then don't worry about it--but not everyone has that luxury. Just continue as you are. If you want more fabric at cheaper prices, then begin to look seriously at thrift stores and Craig's List or ebay (and buy scraps or a "lot" of scraps).

When I'm in the states and see something I just have to have, it depends on whether it will be a blender type or a focus fabric for a quilt. I'd say between 2 and 4 yards. I use it constantly because I can't get fabrics here that I want. For example, yesterday I went to the local fabric store where I wanted to buy 10 meters of black cotton. She was out. I was told they might have it in 2 weeks.

So consider yourselves blessed, those of you who live close to a fabric store with fabric 'in stock'.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:18 AM

I have a sizeable fabric stash and now that I can't go shopping and stand or walk for a long time it is a godsend. I shop through the stuff I have and use what I can. If I just have to have a piece or two to go with it I can shop long enough to get that and be on my way. I don't care what the "trending" colors are, or whether it is all from one fabric line, or any of that stuff, so I happily quilt from my stash as much as possible.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

"Enough" and what we have or what we want are not always the same thing.

The lines between too much, adequate/enough, and lacking can be bluurry.

And this can apply to things other than fabrc.