Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Creating a quilt label >

Creating a quilt label

Creating a quilt label

Old 09-25-2013, 06:31 AM

Default Creating a quilt label

Am almost finished with a quilt that I've been working on since January.
Want to make a label that 'tells the story' and can't wrap my head around how to word it. As I would like to honor all the hands involved.

Here's the story and I'm hoping y'all can help:

It's a whole cloth quilt top that was hand embroidered by a friends family member. Except she can't remember who!

Then another friend gave me the fabric for the backing. It's that pre-printed stuff to give a quilting pattern. Because the top is old and was hand embroidered, I decided it needed to be handquilted. This backing worked great for that.

Then, another friend helped me with a quilting design around the embroidered work and suggested I make prairie points (had never done that before) to finish the edges. Turned out great.

So, I'd like to honor all the hands involved, but how? Doubt a label as big as the backing would be fun OR a good idea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ideas?
Old 09-25-2013, 06:39 AM

How about created and hand quilted by........
Old 09-25-2013, 02:29 PM

Thanks for your reply Misty's Mom. I may end up doing just that. However, I was really wanting to find a way to "tell the story".
Old 09-25-2013, 03:35 PM

Created and hand quilted by.... as Misty's Mom suggested. Then you could add: helpers....backing.....prairie point instruction... So a list of names and what they did?????????
Old 09-25-2013, 06:05 PM

What I have just finished doing is free motion writing on the binding, all around the quilt. First, I wrote the text I wanted on the computer, pinned it on the binding and did free motion writing through the paper, onto the binding...
I took this idea from ube quilting http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...g-t220751.html
Old 09-25-2013, 08:48 PM

Make an envelope to fit on the back which will disappear into the background. Now using a piece of fabric write your story on the fabric . Fold up and place in envelop
Old 09-26-2013, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal View Post
Am almost finished with a quilt that I've been working on since January.
Want to make a label that 'tells the story' and can't wrap my head around how to word it. As I would like to honor all the hands involved.

Here's the story and I'm hoping y'all can help:

It's a whole cloth quilt top that was hand embroidered by a friends family member. Except she can't remember who!

Then another friend gave me the fabric for the backing. It's that pre-printed stuff to give a quilting pattern. Because the top is old and was hand embroidered, I decided it needed to be handquilted. This backing worked great for that.

Then, another friend helped me with a quilting design around the embroidered work and suggested I make prairie points (had never done that before) to finish the edges. Turned out great.

So, I'd like to honor all the hands involved, but how? Doubt a label as big as the backing would be fun OR a good idea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ideas?
Hand quilted w/ love and honor for Lucy Jones

Embroidered quilt top by a family member of {Lucy Jones, DOB, City & State}
Backing fabric given by {Janie Smith, friend of Lucy Jones}
Quilting design by {Debbie Turner and hand quilted by Hill Country Gal, Sept 2013.

I also try to put in the approx date of the quilt top and the pattern of the quilt, if known.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
Make an envelope to fit on the back which will disappear into the background. Now using a piece of fabric write your story on the fabric . Fold up and place in envelop
I have thought about doing this for the 4 quilts I inherited. Since I don't plan on washing them, I would probably use paper in the envelope.

Let us know what you decide!
Old 09-28-2013, 05:34 AM

Great ideas!
Thank you so much. Now I know how to proceed.
Y'all always come through for me!

((hugs))