Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
creative block >

creative block

creative block

Old 08-06-2011, 07:36 AM

Does anyone else get creative block? What do you do to conquer it. I am completely blocked today. I have a memory quilt to finish that I am scared to quilt on because I'm using a new machine. i really need something quick to do so I can get use to the new machine. Any ideas on getting over this? It is so frustrating!
Old 08-06-2011, 07:59 AM

I've been working on the Farmers Wife Sampler quilt for the past year--getting close to completion. I really was having trouble with the borders, so much so I wanted to toss the #$#@ thing LOL. I took a break and made a couple of table runners; used fall fabric so I psychologically felt cooler in this heat. I'd try something small like this to test your new machine (I'm jealous!) and then you'll be ready to go. Good luck!!
Old 08-06-2011, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Jan. My new machine is an old machine. It is a singer 327 K that I got a table for off of craigs for 10.00. The whole setup cost me 45.00.

http://bitsandpieces-nikki.blogspot.com/
Old 08-06-2011, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

A couple of months ago, after returning from a trip, I had trouble getting back to 2 projects using techniques that were new to me (or at least I had little experience with them). I couldn't bring myself to the sewing machine! Finally I just started making a log cabin quilt from scraps, something I've done several times before, and suddenly I was able to work on the new projects too. I think it was just a matter of breaking the ice, getting back to sewing. I finished the log cabin and have one of the other new projects on the longarm now. And of course I've started another new one. It's just a matter of getting in there and getting going, but starting off with something safe and familiar helped me.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:13 AM

I often do something not related to quilting but still creative...either another needlework piece or trying a new cookie recipe, stuff like that...when I hit a wall with a quilt project. A half day "off" is usually enough to get me back on track with the quilt I was working on. Good luck.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Banned

i stop and make one my very simple crib quilts that go to charity.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

Maybe a table runner with a fun and easy pattern and then go back to your quilt :D:D:D
Old 08-09-2011, 02:41 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I made a quick doll quilt. It is sandwiched. Now, I just need to get my machine to stop staggering stitches
Old 08-09-2011, 02:54 AM

I know I sound like an old record going on....but the dolls quilt swop is greatly therapeutic....Each month I get a chance to try a new technique, have a break from doing a bigger project and generally just let loose without it costing anything.
Making a small quilt say 12"x 18" would be a great way to get to know your machine and to try something totally different.
I have made a few dolls quilts now...I've tried applique, FMQ, done a Mariners compass....even if you don't join the swop...a quilt that size makes a lovely wall hanging as a present.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:57 AM

Wow....I can't believe that ...in the time it took me to me to write a reply to you ...you posted that you had made a dolls quilt......Great minds think alike !