Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Creative quilt labels? >

Creative quilt labels?

Creative quilt labels?

Old 03-14-2016, 11:48 PM

Default Creative quilt labels?

Do you label all your quilts? And how much effort do you put into it? I'm interested in seeing how creative quilters are in labelling their quilts. Do you use embroidery? I don't have a fancy embroidery machine so I'm also interested in seeing labels that people created with their computer and any tips for this method. Any photos you can post are very much appreciated.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:02 AM

I do label my quilts. I've spent a lot of time finishing quilts for others and I like to include what the history of the piece is. I am finishing 2 for me right now, and they'll just say something to the effect of Made by Becki and my birthday w/ the completion date.

we are always curious about the story behind a quilt, and my hope is that the label will fill in that story.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:21 AM

I started labeling just last year ( when my quilting skills reached the point I wanted to claim the finished product) and I iron cloth to freezer paper and print my labels. When I know, I include the recipients name, as in the photo below, but in general it just says made with love by me, and the year.[ATTACH=CONFIG]544838[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 03-15-2016, 03:17 AM
Power Poster

for very special quilts, i design a label specifically for the quilt. examples:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]544839[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]544840[/ATTACH]

for 'not as special' quilts/gifts, i'll embroider my name and the date on the hanging sleeve. example:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]544841[/ATTACH]

and for my charity quilts, i'll just put my name or initials with the date with a micron permanent marker
Attached Thumbnails finished-label-flannel-backing-sm-qb.jpg   20120524-quilt-label.jpg   20151016hanger-label-sm-redacted.jpg  
Old 03-15-2016, 04:32 AM

The fanciest label I made was for my granddaughter's quilt. I did it on my embroidery machine, I put a little cat on it because she loves cats and did it in varigated thread. My grandson needed a small blanket, the size of a towel to lay on so I made him a raq quilt and embroidered on it his name, the school and the year. This was done with my regular machine that had built in fonts, before I got my emb machine. He loved it and still has it several years later.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:52 AM

My SIL admired this quilt so I gave it to her. Here's the simple hand written label. It's just a square folded diagonally and stitched in with the binding.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 03-15-2016, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

I don't have a fancy embroidery machine either but my machine does do a basic block alphabet. For special quilts I hand embroider the information. I always try to put who it was for, if there was an occasion (like wedding, birthday, etc). The name of the quilt, My name, city and state and year of completion. Sometimes I do this on an orphan block left over from the top or use my practice block for the label. Sometimes I just do plain fabric. Once I did a broderie perse from one of the fabrics in the top onto the label.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

I just put the information onto fabric and sew it on. It is a large label, but I like to put several pieces of information for anyone who may be interested in years to come.
Attached Thumbnails dark-ice-label.jpg  
Old 03-15-2016, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

Since most of my quilts are donated anonymously, the only time I put a label on was when it was required in competition.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

I just hand embroider in block letters. My neighbor does braille lettering along the binding in French knots but also has a hand written label in permanent ink. She uses French knots as a security measure ever since her mother's was stolen and is partially blind. They recovered it by recognizing the knots.