Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Creativity....where do you find it? >

Creativity....where do you find it?

Creativity....where do you find it?

Old 03-20-2015, 01:11 PM

Because of the fluff batting, maybe you could hand tie the quilt and then it will be a finished comforter. Show us a picture when you are finished no matter how you do. It is wonderful that you are finishing it.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i don't have the drawing creativity to 'design' quilting designs. i depend on images on the web to inspire me... then i draw it out from something i've seen. unless the quilt block is such that the design would be something good to SITD
That's my method as well.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by OneDoxieMom View Post
Don't let the imperfections spoil the enjoyment of finishing your mother's quilt. She must have loved the piece or she wouldn't have made it. I have several of my grandmother's and great-grandmother's quilts. They all have some inconsistencies but I can feel their love when I touch them. A different generation had to make do with what they had available but their families were warm. Maybe we put too much emphasis on perfections today because we see other quilters best quilts. As someone else mentioned, let it rest for another day or so and maybe when you return to it the quilt fairies will have done their magic for you!
I agree. To me I would finish it imperfections and all because it was made by MOM. I have several things she made and I love each and every wonky seam and block in them. Fortunately mom is still with me and still sewing, she's only 80 years young, but I will be so blessed to have her creations after she is gone.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
Because of the fluff batting, maybe you could hand tie the quilt and then it will be a finished comforter. Show us a picture when you are finished no matter how you do. It is wonderful that you are finishing it.
I Second this.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:15 PM

Where do our ideas come from, how do we manage to come up with a pattern, a fix, a design--I really think most of my ideas come when I am not paying attention or have stopped obsessing. Often when I am on the verge of sleep (yeah those are the ones that usually get away) or when I am driving, or in the middle of cooking. It is great that you are finishing your mom's quilt. Just lay it aside for a day and do something for yourself (like going out for lunch or getting a massage or having a manicure) and then approach it with a clear head. You will find a way to make the most of her legacy.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:09 PM
Power Poster

if it's that puffy, have you thought of tying it.it will take up all the puffiness and you can tie where the points don't meet. You caould tie it at intervals that will cover her mistakes and make a nice soft fluffy quilt. No one said it had to be quilted. or you could do a combination of the two.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:53 PM

I don't which is why I buy lots of pretty patterns. I buy a lot of kits as well. I am just not into the design part. Some people have a knack for it. I just want to make pretty quilts some with my own fabric choices some chosen by others if it is a color scheme I like. I guess some people really like doing their own design. Me I am just in love with and have purchased too many patterns to ever have enough time in my lifetime to design my own quilts. I probably have close to enough to keep me busy into retirement with the patterns and books I have, plus all the kits on top of that that I have purchased or bought fabric for myself.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:21 PM

My inspiration comes from everywhere!! I look at pictures here, on google, on pinterest, and get ideas, and feelings, and start drawing. I never copy someone's design exactly...I usually look at it and think...I'm going to change this, or do that, or find a way to make it my own. There are so many places that give me ideas...just "go for it!"
Old 03-21-2015, 05:26 AM

If you decide to go for tying it, use Pearl Cotton like they use for crochet. It stays looking nice wash after wash, instead of fuzzing like yarn.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:58 AM

I already know what I am doing in order to deal with the puffiness, not going to tie it....just asking what inspires you...where does your creativity come from....