Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cricut >

Cricut

Cricut

Old 07-13-2012, 05:27 PM

Default Cricut

Me and my MIL spent several hours trying to cut fabric with no avail. Anyone have tips or what fusible works best because I am frustrated
Old 07-13-2012, 05:40 PM

It really depends on what you are doing. Wonderunder is a good one for two sided fusing.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:21 PM
MTS
Banned

I remember a thread from last year (which I sort of hijacked with questions) where the OP recommended lots of starch and Heat and Bond fusible. I think she showed her sample of Halloween motifs.

My project got put to the side so I haven't followed up.

Let me see if I can find it....
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t136830.html

Elizabethann also included additional information on the Cricut settings she used.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

My cousin has this machine and every design they make for it. She refuses to cut fabric with it. She got a Go Baby for cutting fabric for her scrapbooking and crafts.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:13 PM

I did a search a while back as I was considering getting one of these machines. Here are some links that I looked at. There is several methods and tips for cutting fabric with the Cricut https://www.google.com/search?source...41lllllllllll0
Old 07-13-2012, 09:13 PM

I recommend going to www.twopeasinabucket.com and asking those gals over there. It is a HUGE scrapbooking site but with lots of quilters. I'm sure you'll find some answers over there!
Old 07-13-2012, 09:21 PM

I cut fabric all the time on mine. I use Heat and Bond lite. I do not use the same mat for paper as I do for fabric. I use the deep cut blades. I do not use the same blades for paper as I do fabric. They are labeled and placed in a separate container so I don't mix them up.
Starch your fabric. Cut the fabric the same size as the mat. Iron the wrong side of the fabric to the Heat and Bond. Do not peel the paper off. Place the fabric side down onto the mat and using the scraper smooth out the fabric so there are no air bubbles and fabric/Heat and Bond is completed adhered to the mat. Set the speed to the fastest speed or just below. Find your design and cut. The Heat and Bond Lite is sewable. I have also used mats that are not that sticky after some use. I then use painters tape to secure the prepared fabric on all four sides to the mat. When the blade appears to be dulling, I put that blade in my paper blades container and put on a new one. I cut quite a bit of fabric appliques before I need to put in a new blade. My sister also does this and never has issues either.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:40 AM

I have never tried to cut fabric with mine yet. However, I did find a new use for those old mats that have been used as long as possible. I make templates out of them. Since there is a bit of sticky no matter what, I turn them so that side will be against the fabric and use the rotary cutter around them. Works great and has enough thickness to keep me from trimming a miniscule bit off each time.