Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Critical of own  work? >

Critical of own work?

Critical of own work?

Old 08-03-2010, 02:43 PM

Hugggggs and 3 cheers for so many of us who are deciding to be easier on ourselves.
Labfairy, I don't think that means not trying to improve, it just means not being so hard on ourselves when we are not perfect. As long as we keep trying to do our best, we are bound to improve and not stay at the status quo.
quilterguy, I agree, I know I am proud of the things I have made so far. They are not perfect but they are mine and I love them. I'm sure they will get better as I gain experience, and I will love those too.
But most important of all, I love planning, cutting, piecing and all the rest of the process. It gives me pleasure and therapy and joy. And best of all, it gave me this board and all you wonderful folks!!!
Old 08-03-2010, 02:48 PM

I can be critical of my work but it's funny that through out the whole process as I'm grouching at myself and tell myself that I don't like the way something is turning out, when it comes to giving it away suddenly it's the most beautiful thing I've ever made!
Old 08-03-2010, 04:08 PM

I think this is one of those semantics things (I can be very literal). I am not understanding the definition of being critical of my own work. I view quilting from a constructive process. I'm just not right brained enough to be any other way. I am very happy with things I make in the end but I may rip them out a few times in the process. I began this quilting process to strengthen my visual/spacial skills. Give me a set of numbers, I'm good. Give me shapes and color and I struggle. I'm getting better but I laugh at my mistakes daily. What is obvious to everyone else isn't so obvious to me. I put together a "frog" block using squares and triangles but somehow the feet were wrong. I didn't have a clue until my husband asked why it there wasn't any feet. :oops:

I don't understand why anyone would be ashamed to be critical of their own work. Everything I produce is a product of critical analysis. A failure analysis is conducted when something goes wrong. You should see some of my better failures. A good failure is when you learn something from it. A bad one is when you don't. I learn far more from failures than successes. It never makes me feel less about myself. I am always sure that whatever I finish is the best I could produce at any given moment with the skills I have.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:27 PM

Actually, mistakes are learning experiences...sometimes we have to experience it several times before we get the lesson down pat! My technique improves with every quilt I make, as does my ability to chose the colors I use in them. Perfection will never come, but I'll keep striving for it, one baby step at a time. I love something about every quilt I make and a few I love everything about them!!! Haven't made something yet that I truly hated.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:38 PM

I have a lot of learning experiences. I am getting really getting good with a seam ripper but can't get the color thing down. Now if I can just figure out color...
Old 08-03-2010, 05:52 PM

I enjoy compliments and I believe I accept them without any problem. I do however say when I post the picture an honest opinion of what I did. Most of the time I'm happy, this last time with my miniature I wasn't, but ran out of time to fix it. Normally I would correct anything I don't like about a piece.