Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cross stitch blocks >

Cross stitch blocks

Cross stitch blocks

Old 07-02-2011, 06:36 AM

Recently I came across a sidewalk sale at a Ben Franklin store here in town and saw a box filled with cross stitch quilt blocks. This used to be a commonly seen method in quilts. I have several that were made by family and friends. I think some may have been generated by church quilting groups.

Does anyone do this any more? I have not seen this type on the QB but have only been around here a short time.Are they not "in fashion" any longer?

This is a great take-along project. Doesn't require much in materials. One small tote would hold all you need for quite a long time.

Should I go back and buy a kit or two? What would you do?
Old 07-02-2011, 06:54 AM

If you enjoy doing cross stitch I would buy a few kits. It would be a break from the sewing machine and you could make a wall hanging, table runner, etc.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

I would go back and buy a few. :) I'm currently working on some that I found when we moved into my MIL's to take care of her. It's my t.v. watching project when I don't have to work on a quilt binding. :)
Old 07-02-2011, 07:16 AM

If they're not in style, maybe we should bring it back. My grandmother made a cute, embroidered baby quilt for my daughter (who is now almost 40!). She copied pictures from a coloring book and embroidered them. It is one-of-a-kind and a treasured memory for us.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:31 AM

I have a 90 by 108 embroidered quilt on my bed right now. Yellow daffodil blocks, embroidered by me and quilted by my mother more than 50 yrs. ago. Have a set of completed blocks sommmewhere and If I ever find them, that quilt will be finished, too. Go for it!
Old 07-02-2011, 08:30 AM

I've been a cross stitcher forever (only recently moved to quilting!!) and over the years I've joined lots of cross stitch quilt projects for charities, for friends who are having a hard time, etc. For the charity projects we stitch a square in a theme that has been set out and send it in. When they have enough to make the quilt they do.

I've done these for Love Quilts, Angel Quilt Project, and as well for internet friends that have fallen ill.

So no, they haven't gone out of style at all!!!! Have fun with it.