Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: crumbs?

hi again.....what are 'crumbs'? when i square up a piece of fabric, and i have that 1/16 or 1/8 " piece left, is that a crumb? or cutting out a square, and there is a small strip left, is that a crumb? if not, please tell me what one is......also, does any one really collect them.....thanks for your help....gina

Blog Entries
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/search....b+quilt&u=&s=5
    this will give you an idea of how they are used:) Using crumbs and scraps is like making a quilt for free:)

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy90650
    hi again.....what are 'crumbs'? when i square up a piece of fabric, and i have that 1/16 or 1/8 " piece left, is that a crumb? or cutting out a square, and there is a small strip left, is that a crumb? if not, please tell me what one is......also, does any one really collect them.....thanks for your help....gina
    Everyone will have an opinion but for me a crumb is nothing smaller than a 1inch HST and nothing larger than 2xwhatever..

They have to be big enough to stitch a seam on either side. So I'd say 3/4 inch would be the smallest and that would only give you a 1/4 inch finished piece. Personally, I think that's too much trouble for so little results. I agree with luvTooQuilt regarding size.

I use any thing I can turn at least 1 edge in and make scrappy strips that can then be sewn together. I made a lovely heart that I put on a bag using lots of of crumbs of all sorts of fabric including lace it turned out really nice and I gave it to my DDIL she loved it. not 1 piece was straight I just kept adding to it till it was the size I neaded. I always use a backing old sheets will do to hold it all together or if you want to make jelly rolls from your crumbs again use odl sheets cut to 2/12 inches or what ever size you want just make sure when you join them together you don't leave any gaps as it will show thru