Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cultural differences in quilting >

Cultural differences in quilting

Cultural differences in quilting

Old 06-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Banned

I believe color might be your primary concern. Then quilt with oriental designs. Many books will give you these ideas. Books published by Dover Publishing Co is a good source. You might also look at the on line catalog for The Stencil Co (www.quiltingstencils.com) I did a number of oriental designs for their catalog.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:14 AM

Jan,
I made a baby quilt for a Chinese couple (she was my graduate student) and they have since returned to China. Her mother loved it so much that they asked me for the pattern and where I got the fabric so that her mother could make one. I'll be happy to send/post a photo of it--right now I can't because my computer has gone nuts. It is a pinwheel quilt on point that is made with graduated fabrics in red, orange, green and blue.
Carol
Old 06-06-2010, 10:22 AM
RST

I believe that white is associated with death, so avoid that. But colors are generally good. (My grandmother grew up in China, so going off things she said, which makes it all about 90 years old).

Personally, I would not try to do an asian theme of fabrics -- just make a very American quilt. They will understand that this is a traditional American artform made as a special honor to welcome a baby.

I recently made a baby quilt for a couple from India -- they obviously appreciated it, even though it's not part of their tradition, nor is it particularly practical in India (though they are currently in the Pacific NW with their baby, so can use it here.)

RST
Old 06-06-2010, 10:26 AM

"Personally, I would not try to do an asian theme of fabrics -- just make a very American quilt. They will understand that this is a traditional American artform made as a special honor to welcome a baby."

I agree with this.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:35 AM

From readin thru those web sites I wouldn't use green or white. I know that in Asian cultures white is associated with death.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:50 AM

I BOUGHT a baby quilt when I was in China in 1988 at a large fair. All of the baby quilts had red backgrounds! I was told the one I bought had good luck symbols: dragons, spiders, pandas, fish, frogs and kitties. I suspect it was made for the tourist trade, NOT for Chinese people.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:14 AM

We have members here from China. Try going to the User List above and look up users by location. I'm sure they wouldn't mind you contacting them and asking their opinion. :thumbup:
Old 06-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Pam

I am sure that anything that you make for them will be treasured. Just think, someone in a foreign land, that they had never met cared enough about them to make a gift for their baby! I WOULD enclose a note with fabric care, encouraging them to use the quilt for the baby, not to save it.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:44 PM

Jan, I have to chuckle, because I recently asked something very similar. I know as nurses we have the issue of being sensitive to our patients cultural practices stressed to us in training and it can definitely be an issue as different cultures have different health practices.

I recently decided to participate in the Little Dresses for Africa program and the first thing I did was email the site to ask if certain animals that I might embroider on the dresses would be offensive in their culture.

I think it is so generous of you to make this young couple a quilt for their little one. Is there a university near you that teaches Chinese language or culture classes? They would be a great resource for this type of info. My daughter took several semesters of Chinese when she was in college.

I agree with those who said that they wouldn't stick with an Asian theme. I will bet too, that they will be proud of the quilt from their American friend.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:25 PM

I think you are smart to be asking this question. Now that we have so many international world wide corporations, businesses are training their employees about these very cultural differences.
I think it is very nice of you to want to give their new baby a quilt, and one that doesn't inadvertantly offend will be cherished and appreciated. :D