Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cup/mug cover >

Cup/mug cover

Cup/mug cover

Old 10-16-2014, 06:05 AM

Default Cup/mug cover

I've been trying, without much success, to find a how-to to make a cover, lid, topper for a coffee mug and/or tea cup. I'm more interested in the basic how-to rather than the top pattern used for the topper.

I wanted to make a few mug rugs for Christmas/birthdays and include the topper.So I was thinking to just wing it on my own. I'm thinking about using oilcloth or a vinyl on the bottom to keep the heat/moisture in and not get the lid wet. Any ideas/suggestions?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-16-2014 at 03:01 PM. Reason: remove copyright image
Old 10-16-2014, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

You could use any circle pattern and it is a good idea to put vinyl on the back. I simple circle of coffee bean fabric would be cute. I think you would want something in the center to stiffen it and maybe a layer of insulbrite or batt to retain the heat in the cup.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:44 AM

I agree with Tartan about the insulbrite as the batting. I think the oilcloth would be too much. You can use any circle pattern for a mug rug for the topper. You might also want to make a cup hugger that wraps around the mug & helps retain heat/protects fingers. You can just use a cardboard from take out coffee for the pattern, or search on Fave Quilts for a link with a pattern. Then you can use fabrics that relate to the person for which the gift is made. I just made a mug wrapper using Red Wings fabric for my DSIL for his birthday. He's a big coffee drinker and I don't think he'd be interested in a mug rug, but this is one thing I think he'll use. Best part? You just need to use scraps & it's a quick project! Cut, piece, & finish? Less than an hour!!
Old 10-16-2014, 06:55 AM

You might like to try the teflon fabric for the bottom. It's the silver fabric that they use to make ironing board covers. You can buy it by the yard at JoAnn's. It isn't waterproof, but it is water resistant.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-16-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:08 AM

They sell really cheap pressed cardboard coasters for the inside of the topper and cheat with glue to hold it all together. Vinyl on the back for moisture.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-16-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:17 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! I appreciate them.