Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Curious Question >

Curious Question

Curious Question

Old 06-16-2015, 11:55 PM

Default Curious Question

This may sound really stupid but I have been wondering about this for a while. The room I consider my "sewing room" is where I do all of my sewing and other crafts. I don't have to share with anyone else in the family. In reading posts here I see a lot of people call the area they sew in as their "studio". So my question is for those who have sewing studios, why do you call it a studio versus a room?

This is probably one of the dumbest question ever posted on this forum and people are probably shaking their head thinking I'm crazy but I just want to know.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:24 AM

It's a good question. I've never thought about it either. I think it sounds more upscale to call it a studio. I always just call mine a sewing room, too.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:34 AM
Power Poster

I like the reference of ( curious question) much better than the other one- it's not stupid to ask about something you want to find out about.
Everyone is different and looks at their spaces in their own way.
I am lucky I have both a quilting studio and a sewing room. My studio is where customers visit, bring in quilts for longarm quilting, see an ever changing ( trunk show) display of my projects. My sewing room is my space where I can be in my own ( zone) music playing, sometimes very messy, my space. I do try to keep the studio space tidy, presentable. The sewing room in the middle of a project can be a downright disaster area! I do clean it up before starting the next project.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:46 AM
Power Poster

I think ckcowl's explanation of business vs. personal use applies to many who use the term studio. For others, it may be a difference in the location. If the quilting 'area' is in a separate building from the main house, it's more likely to be called a studio. Also if the quilting 'area' was specifically built, configured, or remodeled for its purpose then it's more likely to be called a studio. For others, it is probably mindset - a quilter has a room, an artist has a studio.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:40 AM
Power Poster

i think of a studio as a place to create.
here are some definitions i found http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/studio
Old 06-17-2015, 02:55 AM

For me, it is my "sewing sanctuary". My space to create in, a place to get away from the world.

7.Definition: any place of refuge; asylum. ( gotta love the reference to asylum!)

Sandy

Last edited by Sandygirl; 06-17-2015 at 02:57 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:13 AM

We call mine my sewing room, my room (as in go to your room!), my space, the west wing since its on the west side of the house , or anything else that happens to cross our minds.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:40 AM

This country lady calls her's a sewing room. Different parts of the country may call things by different names. Such as family room now might be called the great room.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:42 AM
Power Poster

I have two adjoining rooms, one is my sewing room and one is my fabric/cutting room where I have my Go and dies, cutting table and sewing supplies. I call the rooms my sewing area.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:48 AM

I call mine my sewing room. It used to be a family room and still is to a certain extent but it is mainly used for sewing. The family still comes in there when I am sewing but they are careful to leave my things alone.