Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
curved piecing kite quilt >

curved piecing kite quilt

curved piecing kite quilt

Old 03-27-2015, 01:12 PM

Default curved piecing kite quilt

Hi There

I have found a curved piecing baby quilt in a book from Fons and Porter, 2008. The description for cutting is good, but there is no explanation as to how to put the pieces together. I have not done curved sewing before, but have watched a lot of shows that show you how. Is there a site somewhere that shows how to piece it together, not including drunkard path. This pattern doesn't look all that hard,and I hope I can make it for my son and daughter in laws first baby. Baby is due in May.

Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

Marge
Old 03-27-2015, 01:47 PM

I saw the guy on Missouri Quilts do this within pins. Go to their site and look for the tutorials. Before, I have just pinned in the middle and then pin in the middle of what is on each side. I never had any problems.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

Since it is a F&P pattern, have you checked to see if there is a video that goes with this block?? A recent episode of theirs had curved piecing of beach balls.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:11 AM

Thanks for the replies. Will check out the F & P videos.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

The procedure for curved piecing is the same no matter what the block. Drunkards Path, NYB, Winding ways, and I am sure the curved piecing in your pattern, the same technique applies to all irregardless of the degree of the curve. Curved piecing is where garment sewing experience comes in handy but loads of quilters who have never done a set in sleeve have done curve piecing with no problems. I tend to use a lot of pins when I do mine. Some people are comfortable without pins and using a curvemaster foot for their machine
Old 03-29-2015, 06:37 AM

You could also check out Elisa Wilson she does a lot of curved piecing. I can't say for sure that the name of her company is back porch design or something like that, hth.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:00 AM

Curve piecing is not the monster some think it is. Anyone can do it......just slow down the sewing....no lead foot.....gently guide the pieces together...no tugging, remember on a bias. I fold to find center on both pieces, finger press that, pin both edges -be they "dog-ears, or regular, and that center and begin....btw you really don't need a special foot....

If it's a tight curve, as in dressmaking, little snips along that curve will straighten it out a bit to make the sewing less likely to get tucks on underside.......
Old 03-29-2015, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

I'm in the middle of a drunkards path quilt. The first half of the pieces went together real well, no pinning (I saw something on line about not pinning and it worked great). Then as I continued, I lost something in my own approach because I couldn't get them to go together as well without pinning. They were all cut the same direction from the fabric, same template, etc., so I started pinning in the center and on the ends and those are together fine too. It was my curved piecing challenge to myself. I'm almost done with the top. I didn't use any special feet. the problems I think are mine!!

Maybe you can practice on some scraps and see how you can put it together.