Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
custom quilt might be a problem >

custom quilt might be a problem

custom quilt might be a problem

Old 07-31-2013, 11:57 AM

Default custom quilt might be a problem

I have a request for the quilt on this site http://www.quiltfrog.com/fourhour.html
Colors requested are burgundy, gold and cream, it would be made as directed for the completed size.
What would be the charge for this quilt, I would quilt it with a simple meander pattern.
I do not make custom anything, to put a price on it, please any help is most welcome to see if this is something I really want to take on and do.
I make small scrap quilts for charity and am now at wits end about doing this.

My siding guy is the one who has asked to make it as he saw my quilting machines and fabrics. Just got hit today with the additional amount that will be due him for labor on the job. I do not have the colors he wants, have a throw pillow for fabric matching but not coming up with anything. Really do not want to have to go out and buy the fabrics, a special trip to the city.
I know those that do not make quilts think they are free for the asking.
Help!
Jan
Old 07-31-2013, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

​Calculate how much fabric, batt, thread, backing etc. you will need to purchase. Get the money up front with the clear understanding that you will also be charging for your time. If he gets over the sticker shock and decides he still wants it, you can proceed.
I bet he doesn't work for free so why should you?
Old 07-31-2013, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

I would think this thread might have many of your answers ... and give you some questions to consider too!
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ml#post6207357
Old 07-31-2013, 12:26 PM
Banned

Minimum of $650 to start thinking. However if you don't have the fabric and don't want to go out and buy it... Then that is your answer. You can't do it for any amount of money. Probably about 150 or more for top fabric, 40 for batting, 35 for backing 160 to 200 to quilt plus your labor. If it took 40 hrs at min wage...it might be more than 650

Last edited by Holice; 07-31-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

The site is also a bit deceiving calling this a 4 hour top. I think it would take me longer to make that top in 4 hours. Then add to it the time it takes to prep fabric (I am a prewasher) then get the quilt loaded on the rack and quilt it.

Additionally I would NOT make a special trip to the fabric store for the fabric. I would order on line. But if you are concerned about matching exactly you need to figure for your time to get to the LQS, time spent at the LQS picking the fabs and getting them cut and checking out then travel time home.

Also no telling how spendy matching fabrics will be. 5 1/2 yards for the top. Conservatively estimated at $10 per yard. Then, because I wouldn't want to spend time piecing the backing I would want a wide back so figure 2 yards of 108" wide back fabric at around $16 per yard (usually buy this on line, may be more spendy at an LQS) you are talking over $90 just for fabric (assuming 6% sales tax). Then you need a batting. another $20 (conservatively) $10 for thread used

So JUST your raw materials are conservatively estimated at $120.00.

If this quilt top takes only 4 hours to make (personally I think it will take longer), figure another 4 hours travel and in the shop time for fabric, approximately 4 hours for fabric prep (washing ironing applying sizing if you use it and folding for cutting) and another 6 hours to load it on your rack and quilt it. I don't know how you bind but I bind by hand so that would take me at least another 4 to 5 hours. At minimum wage $7.40 per hour plus self employment taxes (safest to add 50% on to the minimum wage) you are looking at another $255 for labor. So the absolute LEAST I would charge for making this quilt is $455 but I don't work for minimum wage so Holice isn't too far off on that $650. starting point.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

You could always order the fabric online. You'll need about 10 yards including backing and binding. Connecting Threads has good quality fabric at about $6/yard, which would help keep the cost down for supplies. The web site says that the quilt top takes about 4-5 hours for most quilters. I would probably double that to include quilting and binding, and maybe add a couple of hours, so say 10-12 hours to make it. Figure a price for your time that you think is okay - for you, not for the buyer - and add in batting, thread - I really don't think this particular quilt would be that expensive, maybe $300-$400 - but that's assuming the fabric is only $6/yard.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:49 PM

I think for a quilt that size $650 would be a fair price. This particular pattern is not as hard because there are no partial or Y seams, but nevertheless it is not a small quilt to make. Also, if you have a long arm the Carpenter Star pattern gives you many option for quilting. You said that he is your siding contractor, so maybe you can trade?
Old 07-31-2013, 04:43 PM

I went to the other thread about charging and as of now I do not want to do custom quilts for anyone. Did some figures and the cost should be at least $220. But those who do not make quilts have no idea on what all must go into one.
So, NO custom quilts from me.
Thank you for the input.
Jan
Old 07-31-2013, 05:02 PM

I have made that quilt top. If all planets are aligned and the quilting fairy is on duty to sprinkle you with the proper amount of sparkle sewing dust, you might finish the quilt top in 4 hours.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:02 PM

Thank you all for your guidance, I have decided NO custom quilt will come from me, ever. The siding guy is another issue to deal with because of a request for $4,523 today for labor, that is on top of what his original contract of $3,000. Already paid half of that but now wants the other large amount.
So I will work on my own projects and never do a custom quilt. Life keeps trying to trip me up but I don't stay down for long. Well, today was not a good day but tomorrow will be better.
Jan