Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cut chenille blanket? >

cut chenille blanket?

cut chenille blanket?

Old 12-30-2014, 07:57 AM

Default cut chenille blanket?

I just stumbled on this page last night: http://www.aestheticnest.com/2010/08...ille-baby.html

This is new to me... has anyone else done it? How did it turn out? Is it soft? Warm? Glad you did it? I am intrigued, and considering making a lap quilt to snuggle on the couch.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

I did a pillow a long time ago for myself. Loved it and have not thought much about chenille since except to wear like a sweater. Thanks for sharing the link!
Old 12-30-2014, 08:14 AM
IQ2

I made a chenille scarf from a McCall's Quilting Magazine pattern. It called for layers of homespun fabric cut on the bias. I bought a chenille cutter at JoAnn's. It really did come out amazing...and yes, soft. That being said, like Tessagin I haven't thought about it since...but it was fun and the result was great.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

It really does make a wonderful blanket. I used 5 layers of good quality flannel (2 as the base right sides out with 3 layers to cut on top) but you can use regular fabric for the base as she does? Just make sure that the layers you are going to cut are flannel so they "chenille" when washed. The chenille cutter looks great but I used my spring loaded scissors to cut my layers. Be extra careful not to cut your base!
I also made sure to sew every other 45* row in opposite directions. If you sew them all in one direction you will end up with a parallelagram (sp) instead of a square or rectangle.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]504128[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 12-30-2014, 09:07 AM

I love these quilts! So soft and cuddly and warm. If you make one, a word of caution, check your dry lint trap every 15 minutes or so. These quilts create a lot of lint and could be the cause of a fire. I always took mine to the laundry and used their dryer because they are so much larger than my home dryer. You will get lots of practice sewing a straight seam! LOL But so worth the effort! If you have a walking foot that will help keep the layers together. And be sure to sew on the bias. I had a friend who made one on the straight of grain and could understand why it fell apart.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

every time i go to Material Rewards in Dansville NY, i have to pet the green chenille they have displayed there. i'd love to make one for myself.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:30 AM

I designed a crib quilt for a friend's grandbaby who was born in October. The center was a large pumpkin, made of assorted orange print blocks and chenilled. (Is that a word?) I don't have a picture, but it made a fun quilt!
Old 12-30-2014, 01:11 PM

It is funny that you brought this topic up now. I saw a baby blanket on pinterest the other day and have plans to just take some scraps or fat quarters and make a doll blanket for my granddaughter's b-day. Then if it works like it shows I might tackle baby blankets for my twin grandbabies due in June.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:34 PM

Tartan, thanks for the heads-up on sewing in different directions.
I also made sure to sew every other 45* row in opposite directions. If you sew them all in one direction you will end up with a parallelagram (sp) instead of a square or rectangle.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:50 PM

Yes, I've made a blanket (with 4 layers of flannel), a rug (with 3 layers of denim and 3 layers of flannel), and 6 pot holders (with 3 layers of denim and 3 layers of flannel). They are awesome! You really don't want to cut with scissors! Use the Olfa Chenille cutter. It just zips right through the layers. You have to keep turning the blade and picking the fuzzies out, but it sure is a lot easier than scissors.