Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cut or tear the fabric.... >

Cut or tear the fabric....

Cut or tear the fabric....

Old 10-20-2010, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

I would have walked out without the fabric too.

Tearing damages the fabric edge up to 2 inches. (I've always wanted to get a microscope out to check that, but so far no microscope handy.....) The damage is largely invisible to the naked eye, but the fibers are weakened that far in. A yard would have two sides torn, which means you lose 4 inches on a purchase. That might be okay if you are buying 5 continuous yards, but it would not be okay on a 1/2-yard cut!

Grainline isn't as important in quilting as it is in clothes construction (because it affects the hang of the garment). I always work with pre-starched fabric when I quilt, so I don't worry if grainline is a little off in my pieces; the starch keeps them stable during cutting and sewing.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

I think tearing is more prevalent in some areas than others. Up here in the PNW I have never seen them tear fabric, it is all rotary cut.
Pros and cons either way :wink: but good customer service is always appreciated :D:D:D
Old 10-20-2010, 09:03 AM

When I went fabric shopping for the first time I had the nice personal experience from the LQS, I continued on my way to garment district and was taken back with the coldness of the merchants and in shock when they too tore my fabric
Old 10-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

i know of many shops with the same policy. when the fabric is torn it stays on grain, you get a much straighter edge than when it is cut. i have one lqs that cuts...with scissors (absolutely refuses to use a rotary cutter even though she has a cutting mat on the table) and it is normal for the cut to be so far off...crooked that when you square up you loose up to 3" of fabric. it really is a savings to have the fabric torn instead of cut, then if you prewash and trim you only have to trim a sliver instead of inches. i know looking at it the fabric seems ...wonky...but it tears straight on the grain line. if you visit design houses and mills you will find they ALWAYS tear large pieces of fabric. it's really the only way to ensure you have a straight edge, cutting you cut across grain lines...which is why it frays when you wash it.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:31 AM

Tearing does make it on grain and sraight but I only tear large pieces like for backing.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

I think $1.oo tocut is crazy!
I really dont care either way, cut or torn, but I wouldnt pay the extra dollar!
Old 10-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

In my area, the only fabric that I have seen torn is muslin or other fabrics that are very wide. It is way too difficult for these to be cut straight.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:25 AM

everywhere I go the fabric is cut (Wal-Mart, Hobby Lobby, Hancock Fabric's).. but it seems it is never cut straight.

I do venture out of SC to a store in North Carolina called Mary Jo's (they are also online).. they tear their fabrics. It scared me the first time I saw them do it ~ but I had much rather my fabrics be torn that cut crooked... but asking you to pay $1 to cut it is insane.. I would have demanded to see the manager!
Old 10-20-2010, 10:35 AM

I prefer to have my fabric torn. If you are getting a geometric print or plaid it reveals how crooked the printing was etc. It does make a difference in quilting. If you have wavy borders it might just be because the fabric is off grain. If I am making strips for peicing I always tear the fabric it is the only way I can get a long strip without having that fold bump in it. I know that the strings are a pain but it does make a difference.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:46 AM

My LQS uses a rotary cutter, mat and acrylic ruler, so it is always straight. I wonder why more places don't do that? I would think it would be easier.