Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cut up shirts - Neck Band uses?

Blog Entries
    I've decided to make a quilt from recycled men's dress shirts. I've been slowly cutting them up and I have a question for all you crafty folks. I've been cutting the collars off, then cutting the collar band from the shirt. Now I have a pile of bands with a button on one end and a button hole on the other. Seems to me i could use these for something. First thing that comes to mind is to "button up" rolls of stabelizer. You can button multiple bands together to wrap around large batting rolls etc. anything else you can think of?

Use them (or the top half of the collar) as applique to simulate shirt collars with (silk) ties. Various possible designs are possible. Mixed with fabrics used in sports jackets and suits the outcome would be nice for any man. The backing could be a real surprise...by using flannel plaids!

Pam M

Blog Entries
    The cuffs from the long sleeved ones make good wrappers for travel cups (coffee coozie).

Maybe hold spools of ribbon, etc together for hanging on hook or on wall??

Banned
    You could use attach several to the back of a wallhanging to go over the hanging rod instead of a making a sleeve.

I've used them as head bands for my hair. Might have to adjust the button though to fit your head.