Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting "length" of fabric >

Cutting "length" of fabric

Cutting "length" of fabric

Old 02-24-2010, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I have ripped some but that is such a tangled mess that I went to the sliding method. I use a long ruler but never cut clear to the end for fear of the weight of the fabric pulling the cut line. Usually, I put my ironing board at the end of the table to catch the rest of the fabric.
I think this is a good way to do it.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:45 AM

ditto on the ripping, I tried cutting because I thought it was the thing to do. But I couldn't get a straight cut and wasted a lot more fabric than I did when tearing. Sure it has some weak spots, right next to the tear, but its not that big and is ok when you sew it on. Much better.

Rita
Old 02-24-2010, 06:03 AM

I use a combination of the other methods mentioned. I tear the fabric a little wider than what is called for. I press it, fold it ( I try to only fold once ) remeasure and cut to the size I need. I tear it into strips first because doing that reduces the bulk and the weight of the fabric and it is easier to handle. After I fold the strip - I press the fold - that helps reduce the chance of getting the "curve". Then I press it flat again after I cut it to size. ( A little water along the pressed fold line will get the crease out. ) I hope this helps. :)
Old 02-24-2010, 06:10 AM

I rip when lengthwise.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the help. I'd thought about ripping it, but thought that was a real no-no. Good advice on my stripes too. Good way to keep the stripes straight.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:27 AM

I stole my husbands t-square. Mine's 48" long and I can line the material even with the edge of the mat and then use my rotary cutter. Zip!! Always works.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:18 PM

I always tear anthing that is longer than my longest ruler. You can make the strip just a smidge bigger than you need so that you can use a more generous seam to make up for any pulls in the fabric. Using the straight of grain is just as important in quilting as it is in garment sewing. If you have seen a quilt that has "wavy" borders it is because they were not cut straight or on grain. If you are doing a binding that has curves or scallops etc. You should cut your binding fabric on the diagonal or at least the crossgrain. Both allow the fabric to stretch as needed. For solid borders the straight of grain is the only way to go. If you have ever finished off a bolt of fabric you will note that the last edge may be really crooked sometimes almost diagonal. That is because they stretch the possilby still damp fabric as they roll it on the bolt at the factory. That is one good reason to prewash your fabric. It helps return it to it's proper shape.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:12 PM

Great advice, mpspeedy :D I tear also. I'm also becoming very partial to the idea of bias binding after reading an article about how binding wears - straight of grain binding has wear along essentially one thread. That made a lot of sense to me, having seen worn binding look like it was almost cut in half. Bias binding spreads the wear along many threads, so understandingly wears longer.

Luckily, I just bought a new bottle of starch! ;)
Old 02-24-2010, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
I rip when lengthwise.
But I usually rip a little larger than needed to allow for the "weakness", maybe a half inch. That way I can cut back and know I'm still on line with the fabric.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:55 PM

This is fantastic! I just posted a question about cutting the length of the fabric too! It's a little scarey to me to think of ripping the fabric (if the rips don't follow the stripe I want...also cuz my fabric was 'spensive!)
Thanks all for such a great forum!!!
:)