Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting 1.5" squares >

Cutting 1.5" squares

Cutting 1.5" squares

Old 01-01-2013, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by sewplease View Post
Skittl, what project are you doing? Would love to know which pattern.
Shes doing this one:
http://cuttopieces.blogspot.com/p/quilt-alongs.html?m=0

there's lots of pictures and modifications in the Flickr group. As well as some other ideas to the $100+ stabilizer in the discussion there.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by misskira View Post
I didn't fuse mine, I chain pieced the rows vertically all together then sewed horizontally same as she did. Then I snipped the thread from the chain piecing and pressed open. It's definitely worth it to press open, it makes it lay so nice and flat, especially after its quilted. But I agree, it's pretty tedious. There is a blog on oh Fransson where she uses a similar method for her postage stamp quilts, and she rotary cuts her folds off. It might be worth trying?

eta: hmmm.. It's not there. I may have read it in the comments? Now I'm curious so I will do some more reading.
Ooh, my accuracy would be so bad if I chain pieced them... I am using the method from Oh Fransonn on the fusible interfacing. I washed a sample and I think the hand of the fabric is still good, though the wash away would definetly make a cuddlier quilt. (I'm also glad I'm using mostly Kona Cotton instead of the Michael Miller. You lose some of the softness with the interfacing, so no use spending the extra money, the MM fabric is lovely though.)

I did try rotary cutting the seam allowance, and it was much quicker, but then it was harder to press the narrow seam allowance, so I think six of one, half dozen of another. I decided I'd rather take more time cutting rather than more time pressing.

I attached a photo of my first square. I have 5 more in progress today.
Attached Thumbnails imag0027.jpg  
Old 01-01-2013, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
Ooh, my accuracy would be so bad if I chain pieced them... I am using the method from Oh Fransonn on the fusible interfacing. I washed a sample and I think the hand of the fabric is still good, though the wash away would definetly make a cuddlier quilt. (I'm also glad I'm using mostly Kona Cotton instead of the Michael Miller. You lose some of the softness with the interfacing, so no use spending the extra money, the MM fabric is lovely though.)

I did try rotary cutting the seam allowance, and it was much quicker, but then it was harder to press the narrow seam allowance, so I think six of one, half dozen of another. I decided I'd rather take more time cutting rather than more time pressing.

I attached a photo of my first square. I have 5 more in progress today.
Eeeee! I love that boo block! I may need to make ds a pillow with that one. I did sub a few on mine too...I didn't do the red mushroom or ? Block, and did a bob bomb and spikey orange guy instead. I also did a plant pipe instead of her 3d one.

I haven't taken a picture of it quilted and bound, guess I should do that.

I did mine in kona as well since I found a great deal t hancocks. I tried using quilters grid but it wasn't accurate. I should have done the fusible like you are, it would have been so much faster.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by misskira View Post
Eeeee! I love that boo block! I may need to make ds a pillow with that one. I did sub a few on mine too...I didn't do the red mushroom or ? Block, and did a bob bomb and spikey orange guy instead. I also did a plant pipe instead of her 3d one.
If I do all the blocks DH is asking for, this thing is going to end up King size. I am subbing the Boo in for the Cloud, and I will do a piranaha plant instead of the pipe.

Is yours on flickr? I've seen one with the spikey and the bomb.

DH would really really like a dry bones, but I can't figure out how to make him 18 x 18. I may either put it on the back (but those layers would make quilting so hard) or make it a pillow, that way it can be whatever size it is...

The problem with the fusible- I drew the lines myself using a sharpie. My ruler now has a permanent red line on it, and GASP- my sewing machine is developing one!!!! Since my sewing machine is like my baby, I am going to have to figure out how to prevent it from getting any darker. I've always used acetone to remove sharpie, but no way is that going near my machine! This is just from it rubbing off the fusible a little bit, but so many rows and it apparently builds up. (I did wash a test swatch, and it doesn't get on the fabric, or seem to 'wash' off...)
Old 01-02-2013, 05:24 AM

I'd buy the die for 1.5 strips and then either cut them down into blocks; you can layer them and make it quicker. Or you can cut the strips and then sew the strips together and them cut them down and it makes it faster than sewing 4000 pieces together.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
If I do all the blocks DH is asking for, this thing is going to end up King size. I am subbing the Boo in for the Cloud, and I will do a piranaha plant instead of the pipe.

Is yours on flickr? I've seen one with the spikey and the bomb.

DH would really really like a dry bones, but I can't figure out how to make him 18 x 18. I may either put it on the back (but those layers would make quilting so hard) or make it a pillow, that way it can be whatever size it is...

The problem with the fusible- I drew the lines myself using a sharpie. My ruler now has a permanent red line on it, and GASP- my sewing machine is developing one!!!! Since my sewing machine is like my baby, I am going to have to figure out how to prevent it from getting any darker. I've always used acetone to remove sharpie, but no way is that going near my machine! This is just from it rubbing off the fusible a little bit, but so many rows and it apparently builds up. (I did wash a test swatch, and it doesn't get on the fabric, or seem to 'wash' off...)
Mine is not, I copied them from another quilt though. Here is mine, before it was quilted.

i really wanted to do a big bowser on the back, but it got too close to Christmas. I finished binding it in the evening of the 23rd and still had a toddler quilt to finish for my other ds. And by the time the top was done, I was soooo done, lol.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:21 AM

Oh very nice! I see you have Luigi jumping. I wanted to make jumping Mario but my husband said no. But I have Mario and Luigi facing opposite directions so they will look at each other. I really like your spikey guy- I think he is my favorite in your quilt.

I blogged the progress on my next 5: http://skittl1321.blogspot.com/2013/...wednesday.html (hopefully it is okay to link, I don't make any money off the blog, so there is no benefit to driving traffic there- just don't want to link ALL the pictures here.) I actually did the vertical seams on two of the blocks after I posted that, so they just need to be pressed.

Hopefully I will be able to fuse the next 6 this weekend. I'm shocked how fast this quilt is going, as it seemed really daunting.