Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting Apple Core template with rotary cutter :((( >

Cutting Apple Core template with rotary cutter :(((

Cutting Apple Core template with rotary cutter :(((

Old 09-23-2012, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Of course, after I bought the apple core die that goes with my Accuquilt Go, it's MUCH easier now!
Yes, me too. Altho the initial investment of the GO may seem taunting (must shop around!) and the cost of the dies (there too, shop around!)in a long run it makes life soooo much easier.....I am working on a scrappy applecore with large applecore die cuts and it is funnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Yes, me too. Altho the initial investment of the GO may seem taunting (must shop around!) and the cost of the dies (there too, shop around!)in a long run it makes life soooo much easier.....I am working on a scrappy applecore with large applecore die cuts and it is funnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!

I have to admit, I thought the Accuquilt Go a frivolous luxury ... and NOW I am *rethinking* this!!! I seem to be spending a small fortune on rulers/templates, etc., a little $$$ at a time, where as the Accuquilt Go is LOTS of $$$ at a time ... just *might* catch up to the cost of the others. Plus, I see they have a rag quilt die cut ... and that would be great!!!

Thanks Peckish for planting that seed in my thoughts!!!! lol Just what I need, something *big* to wish for!!! But I'm thinking it just might be worth it!!!

jody
Old 09-23-2012, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

I use the Accucut Go. The Go Baby is super nice to start with. I rarely use my rotary cutter anymore. I use scissors or rip to cut the approx size of the fabric I need for the dies. I have the apple core die. I cut enough apple core shapes for a guild member to make a queen size quilt in about 30 min. This included having to cut the fabric to fit the die and starching and ironing it. I'll never go back to cutting around templates.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:36 AM

There are several different brands of machines, at several price points. For instance, the Accuquilt Go! is $349, and the Baby is $139. Or you could go with the Sizzix, which I'm less familiar with, and I believe it only cuts applique shapes.

You might check out the Yahoo group "pinsandneedles1". The owner of the group has the best prices I've found anywhere for dies! She can't sell the machines, but she sells everything else.

Also, check out Ebony Love's website and blog at http://www.lovebugstudios.com/. She has a TON of information about dies, die cutters, and what to do with them.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:29 PM

Well, I shopped at JoAnn's and bought the 18mm rotary cutter with the small turning cutting matt .... (( Still I could not get this to work!!!! So, now I've spent about $35 *trying* to cut these things out

And, because I have lots more time than $$$, I am simply tracing around the template (after I put the Invisigrip on it) and then cutting them out (scissor wise!). I think I might have 5 charm packs and may throw in a few other fat quarters that match good .... so this will not be a big *anything*!!! Thinking a small throw.

Thanks for all the advice, and if I didn't want/need a sewing table for my Janome 6600 I would buy the AccuQuilt Go in a heartbeat

jody